Auto to Manual swap?

vcassens

Reaction score
I am debating on swapping in a manual trans in my 96 and I found a truck I can get most of the parts I need if they will work. My big question is will a 5 speed from an IDI 7.3 work on my 7.3 powerstroke and for that matter will any of the parts work for my truck. The truck I found is a 92-94. And does anyone know of a place to get new carpet for the truck? I would like to put a black interior in the truck from a super duty. Thanks for any help.

Turbtators

Reaction score
Some of the early powerstrokes have the s5-42 zf trans which is also in the idi. My truck actually has the above trans so itll hold up. they eventually went to the s5-47 sometime late in 95. I believe it should mount the bolt pattern is the same on the idi's if I remember correctly. Please correct me if I am wrong though.

vcassens

Reaction score
I have been informed that it will from Paul at complete performance. But you bring yet another interesting question to the table lol. That and does the manual trans use a different transfer case? Or will the one attached to my auto work

vcassens

Reaction score
OK so hear is a list i have came up with four the parts i will need.
Transmission
Transfer case if mine won't work on the manual
Transmission floor pan hump
PCM
new clutch,flywheel,and hydraulic components
I am also going to try and find a dully rear end and wheels.
Another question is what do i do about a drive shaft? Will the one in the trick now work or will it need to be cut down?

Turbtators

Reaction score
The zf5 is should shorter than the auto so it'll probably need a longer rear driveshaft. Not sure about the front drive shaft though.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Want to swap. I got a 96 with a zf5 in it jk
Guys with autos want sticks guys with sticks want autos lol. I like gear selection when towing other than that I wish it was an auto

vcassens

Reaction score
Want to swap. I got a 96 with a zf5 in it jk
Guys with autos want sticks guys with sticks want autos lol. I like gear selection when towing other than that I wish it was an auto

Wouldn't be worth it for you LOL the auto is going out and I don't want to re build it LOL but if I can't find everything I need reasonable I will be sticking with the auto. I am with you on the gear selection that is the main reason I am looking into this it is pretty muck always hooked to the gooseneck I have the 6.0 for daily driving and pulling the trailer long trips with the wife along for the ride.

oneturboforme

Reaction score
In all honesty I would try to find a zf6 and use that I really wish my 3-4 and 4-5 were closer together. I'm wondering for the other parts you can find a manual f150 for like the clutch perch and all that stuff those are all over the place

JSchuricht

Reaction score
Yep a ZF6 from a 7.3 will work. Not too hard of a swap but you will need a NP271/273 transfercase to go with it if your 4x4.

superpsd

Reaction score
Only downside is the ZF6 usually come with a higher price even second hand. I like the ZF5 it gets the job done. I love how these obs trucks have the removeable floor pan, I use my cherry picker to drop the trans/transfer together with a single sling.

Last edited:

ANIMOSITY

Reaction score
Well, If youre trans wasn't going out, I would swap with you. Im just down the road from you in Fairview with a 97 Crew and a man, wanting to go auto.

vcassens

Reaction score
So is the input shaft on the zf5 the same as on the 6? I am trying to figure out what I would have to do for a clutch. Also will the hydraulics work the same or are they different.

Latest posts

Members online