Autometer HPOP gauge reads false when chip is on

Baker42

Reaction score
I have 7.3 with a HPOP gauge. It reads fine with the chip on the stock tune. When I turn the chip on it is showing 4000 P.S.I.! I talked with the tuner and they said none of their tunes command more than 3200 P.S.I. I do believe them which leads me to believe that the ICP sensor is giving false readings when the chip is on. I have read in the past where a 2nd ICP sensor needs to be plumbed into the head strictly for the gauge when a tuner is used. the truck was scanned with a snap-on scanner last year for an unrelated problem and the gauge read extremely accurate. Any thought would be appreciated.:wtf:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
I've never seen this with a "chip" and never had any customer tell me they needed to use a 2nd sensor to get an accurate reading.

What kind of chip?

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
If the gauge is wired into the icp sensor, as long as the wiring is in good shape (no high resistance) the gauge should be reading exactly what the PCM is seeing. The chip shouldn't change this as it has no way of changing an input sensor only an output component.

Baker42

Reaction score
If the gauge is wired into the icp sensor, as long as the wiring is in good shape (no high resistance) the gauge should be reading exactly what the PCM is seeing. The chip shouldn't change this as it has no way of changing an input sensor only an output component.
It did it with my old DP F5 as well. I set it back to Jody, and all tunes were limited to 3200 psi. According to Power Hungry, none of their tunes call for over 3200 psi.

Baker42

Reaction score
There are no tuners on this site that might help point me i the right direction? Crickets chirping.....

Arisley

Reaction score
I've never seen this with a "chip" and never had any customer tell me they needed to use a 2nd sensor to get an accurate reading.

What kind of chip?

Build a hydraulic gauge setup and verify true pressure at the oil rail.

https://swampsdiesel.com/files/hpop.pdf

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There are no tuners on this site that might help point me i the right direction? Crickets chirping.....

Three good answers right there.

IdahoF350

Reaction score
It's the physical installation of a chip that is the problem, not the tuning. If you use a DVOM and check the voltage at the sensor with and without the chip it will be different. The chip is altering in internal board component to skew the reference voltage. If it did it with two entirely different types of chips, it rules out faulty chip hardware as well. The problem is in the PCM itself. Either the contacts are improperly cleaned for the chip (most likely) or the chips are touching a component that sticks up off the board (I've seen it happen many times in 20 years of installing them). Pull the PCM, inspect the contacts, clean them again if they have any residue still on them, then pop the top off, insert the chip, and inspect for component contact.

golfer

Reaction score
..pretttty sure it's in the tune, LOL

but haven't seen an email from the customer to confirm...and screen names vs real names are tough to fingerrrrr out.

Baker42

Reaction score
..pretttty sure it's in the tune, LOL

but haven't seen an email from the customer to confirm...and screen names vs real names are tough to fingerrrrr out.
I have been busy Dave been out of town for work the past few weeks so I haven't had a chance to check my replies. I have installed several chips on several trucks. Kind of hard to fu** THAT UP. either it works or doesn't, thats been my experience. And I just towed my 5th wheel,12000lbs and my 19' bass tracker in tandem 2500lbs, with their 25hp tow tune and my HPOP gauge would only read to 3200. When I switched to my 65 or 85 DD, ICP jumped to over 4000.

Last edited:

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
So what you're saying here is the "tune" is causing your icp gauge to read what the PCM is asking for. There is nothing wrong with the chip or the gauge, just that the tune is commanding 4000 psi of injection pressure.

I had a guy bring me a truck with 160/stock injectors complaining of fuel pressure drop from 60psi to 40psi under load. Long story short it was the "tune" calling for nearly 7ms at wot...

Last edited:

golfer

Reaction score
I have been busy Dave been out of town for work the past few weeks so I haven't had a chance to check my replies. I have installed several chips on several trucks. Kind of hard to fu** THAT UP. either it works or doesn't, thats been my experience. And I just towed my 5th wheel,12000lbs and my 19' bass tracker in tandem 2500lbs, with their 25hp tow tune and my HPOP gauge would only read to 3200. When I switched to my 65 or 85 DD, ICP jumped to over 4000.

now I'm even more confused...

those program names don't match any tunes we have...

you might want to take a screenshot of your HydraChip program list...what's actually installed on the chip...and compare those to what was emailed to you (assuming you did receive an email from us with our tuning)...

you're welcome to email the screenshot to me...but no street tune we have would request more than 3000-3200psi.

Latest posts

Members online