Away from home with bad injector?

Twinboys

Reaction score
I recently replaced my injector sleeves and all 8 injectors with new stock injectors from Ford. During our 1400 mile family trip to Snowbird Utah (from Minnesota), I started noticing a vibration more and more and power seemed to be a little flat. On day two, at first start up, an injector seemed to be a little noisy and after underway, the vibration a little worse at certain speeds (60 - 70). AE showed cylinder 7 contribution fault, but no other codes. Everything else looked good including misfires. After arriving at destination and shutting truck off for a while, we went into Salt Lake to get supplies and on the way back, it began to smoke (diesel fuel smoke at idle). I'm hoping one of the new injectors (#7) is bad and not something worse. Is it possible or recommendable to shut that injector on and off while on the road as needed? I am looking for thoughts on what it could be and how to best get it home with the family on Saturday. Thanks.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I highly doubt it's a bad injector. It might be one thats not torqued right and coming lose. I'd get the engine hot, remove upper fuel filter, refill bowl to top and crank (not with key on) and see if your getting air bubbles.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
On the right fender well you will see a round connector with a yellow wire. Disconnect it and feed the male side to 12v with key off

Twinboys

Reaction score
I just did this last week, but I automatically removed the old style oil rail without looking. Could I tighten the injector without removing the oil rail?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Typically if it came loose, you will need to oring it as the copper washer, and lower o ring will more than likely be compromised. That will require removing the rail. Luckily, pretty much all ford dealers will stock o ring kits, and yhey run less than 10 bucks usually.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I just did this last week, but I automatically removed the old style oil rail without looking. Could I tighten the injector without removing the oil rail?

Wait, so what did you find?

Twinboys

Reaction score
There was a tiny burst of 5 or 6 bubbles the instant the crank began. After that, there were none, even on successive attempts. Not sure what that means.

Will I be able to check the tightness of the hold down bolts without removing the oil rail (old round style) - I have not pulled the valve cover yet to look.

Twinboys

Reaction score
After watching a few videos, I went back out and tried it again. I drove it again and got it fully warmed up and smoking good. Still didn't see any bubbles, but the fuel level kept dropping this time. filter bowl half empty after 8 second crank.

Twinboys

Reaction score
Not sure if this matters... I also replaced the hfcm last week. Entire unit from Ford.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Filter bowl should never empty. Hmm.

I don't think you can gain access to the hold downs on the right side due to heater box. Are you still EGR ?

Twinboys

Reaction score
I never tried to start it again last night and it dawned on me that if that o-ring finally gave up, the fuel might have been filling the cylinder?

Also, what happens if an injector gets over torqued? No egr

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yes hydrolocking can and will happen when we lose the seal between copper and injector. Still not convinced this is the issue.

Is there any fuel knock when running and it's smoking?

Over torque is not really a concern. The 24/26 ft lbs it calls for is just barely reachable before the bit slips out of the head of the bolt and you just kissed your knuckles goodbye.

What did you torque then to?

Twinboys

Reaction score
Yesterday, there was no fuel knock when smoking.

When putting in the back two cylinder sleeves, I couldn't get them pounded in because of the heater box, so I used an injector to draw them in and not sure what I torqued them to. I then pulled the injector and tapped the sleeve some more with the replacement tool. then I put a new o-ring kit on and torqued to 24 ft lbs.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Hmm. So setting the cups with the injectors is more than likely our issue. I wonder if the cup isn't set right, I'd expect coolant into cylinder as well

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Disabling the injector will not prevent combustion leaking back through and further eroding the seals, leading fuel to hydrolock the cylinder. Get it to a shop ASAP. I wouldn't attempt to drive this back with the family

The bubbles in fuel bowl and the bowl draining back is what's leading me to believe combustion is present.

Last edited:

Twinboys

Reaction score
It started this morning same as before. Fired right off, not hydro locked and running a little rough, but not smoking yet. I think I will verify it is the odd side with a balance test, then reseal (and inspect) those 4 injectors. Is this my best plan? I already bought the basic tools I think I will need (no torque wrench) and will have to do it at night here in the parking lot.

Latest posts

Members online