Axle swap

vcassens

Reaction score
Ok so I am thinking about selling the dana 60 front axle and the rear axle with suspension from my 96 F350 and picking up a set of axles and suspension from a 99-04 superduty. My question is what all will I need to do this swap and what would be a fair price to ask for the axles that are under the truck now?

psduser1

Reaction score
Why change the axles?
I paid 1200 for my d80/d60 swap.
Standard hi mile setup.
D50/10.5 sterling setup could be a little cheaper.

vcassens

Reaction score
I am wanting to go with 3:73 gears. I am not 100% on swapping the axles just yet but just figured I would get all the info in one post just in case I defiantly want to swap suspension for a better ride unless there is a better option. I am open to suggestions for sure.

vcassens

Reaction score
Not really wanting to do that much work at the moment but it is not off the table LOL I would just want to find a rolling frame so that I no that I was getting all the parts needed. The other reason is so that I would have disk brakes all around.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I'd do the swap again just bc of the 4 wheel disc. You need SD springs, and a pmf RSk kit. I also had him make me a bracket to retain the 97 track bar that now bolts into the SD sway bar bracket, that is made on the housing.

I also prefer unit bearings over packing bearings. Not to mention that same BS to go through to do something as simple as replace rotors.

And all 02 up SD fronts are D60. I have all the parts to do the swap. PM me if you'd like a price.

psduser1

Reaction score
If you want 3.73s, I've got those setups in 99-04 style. Still leaf springs, tho.
Everybody wants the d60 fronts, but the 50s are a dime a dozen, and work just fine for 99% of what people do.

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
And all 02 up SD fronts are D60.

As Cobra stated in 02 all the trucks went to a d60. I did the exact swap you are talking about. I had a d60 with a matched 4:10ls rear axle with a 4" lift. It rode horrible. I bought a set of 02 axles that were actually in an obs. So for $1350 I got axles, v code front springs, sway bar including all mounting hardware, and a factory limited slip center section. My front axle was set up to use an obs style trac bar.

I chose to go with a PMF 2.25" rsk kit with four inch blocks in the back. It sits a little high in the back but i may have some stiffer springs in the back. It rides a lot better but still not as well as I would like, so i am gonna go to B code rear springs.

Also when I did my swap I swapped in hydro boost from an F-Superduty but it didn't work properly so it all got swapped out for what I believe is a super duty boost valve. I love the way the brakes operate now.

The only thing I don't like is that it didn't drop down as far as I would like so ar some point I will be taking my rsk, v codes and blocks out in favor for either some custom front springs or some stock ttb springs (may try gasser ttb springs) and b code rears with no blocks.

Sorry for the long response but that is my experience this year.

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
You have any pictures of your truck?

Before- 305/70r16s
IMG_20130705_200825_959_zpsb1e9b423.jpg

Axle swapped- 285/75r16s, sat pretty level
IMG_20140127_072719_506_zps2c35b848.jpg

Put a box back on, sits tail high
IMG_20141102_125144_zpsyub0sjfp.jpg

Where I want to go with it- Jake White of White's Diesel Performance
IMG_402403520572385_zps2hyed5lz.jpg

vcassens

Reaction score
So will the drive shafts bolt up? If not what do i need for that? Do you have any pics of the bracket for the track bar?

co04cobra

Reaction score
Was my post confusing? Not being an ass. Serious ?

More FYI: All 99-01 fronts are d50 unless DRW. And all Exs have d50s.

I also used v code and b code springs.

Here is one you can see the rsk kit. I had him add the receiver and tow hooks.

IMG_0525.jpg

97truckatNLTD_zpsdf80a380.jpg

Last edited:

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
So will the drive shafts bolt up? If not what do i need for that? Do you have any pics of the bracket for the track bar?

You will need to use the yoke off the rear diff. I used my front drive shaft and a conversion u joint. You can flip the rear rubber line over, I used an adapter on mine. Yea, I can get some pictures tomorrow. Of course use all new u bolts.

rusty1161

Reaction score
As Cobra stated in 02 all the trucks went to a d60. I did the exact swap you are talking about. I had a d60 with a matched 4:10ls rear axle with a 4" lift. It rode horrible. I bought a set of 02 axles that were actually in an obs. So for $1350 I got axles, v code front springs, sway bar including all mounting hardware, and a factory limited slip center section. My front axle was set up to use an obs style trac bar.

I chose to go with a PMF 2.25" rsk kit with four inch blocks in the back. It sits a little high in the back but i may have some stiffer springs in the back. It rides a lot better but still not as well as I would like, so i am gonna go to B code rear springs.

Also when I did my swap I swapped in hydro boost from an F-Superduty but it didn't work properly so it all got swapped out for what I believe is a super duty boost valve. I love the way the brakes operate now.

The only thing I don't like is that it didn't drop down as far as I would like so ar some point I will be taking my rsk, v codes and blocks out in favor for either some custom front springs or some stock ttb springs (may try gasser ttb springs) and b code rears with no blocks.

Sorry for the long response but that is my experience this year.

For less lift/better ride up front you can try "U" code or "D" code front springs. I have "D" codes up front, ride is much better and it sits lower than the "V" codes. The "D" codes were used in Excursions and ride a bit softer and sit a bit lower than the "U" code springs used in SD trucks. I always heard you should us the RSK specific for the SD axle swap up front due to the wider spring perch width.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online