[B]Afermarket Rear Diff[/B]

Danbonzo

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an aftermarket rear end. I've narrowed it down to two choices, a Detroit Locker and a True Trac. I know on paper the limited slip make more sense for the street, but after talking w/ a couple of guys who have ran both the consensus seems to be the locker. First off its bulletproof, and when on the throttle its locked, period. I had concerns about its mannerism's on the street, but after speaking with them, they both assuaged my doubts. Nothing I can't adapt to in a week of driving with it. Parking on an incline will most likely be the biggest hurdle to overcome. Apparently the driveline lash is about a full 2/3 rotation, which equates to about 12" of rolling. Don't know if its true because I've never run a True Trac, but I have heard that it can be overpowered under certain conditions. What I do know for sure is that the stock limited slip unit in my Sterling is a p.o.s. Fed up w/ the one wheel peel! Time for a change, 99.9% sure I'm going with the Detroit Locker, its just mean!
Opinions??

Spatel23

Reaction score
I run TrueTracs front and rear and I really like them. I dont even know they are there until needed which is a positive thing in my opinion.

Are you considering an air locker or something else? If you cant disengage it the one major disadvantage I see would be turning at low speed, wouldn't the tires continually chirp?

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I run TrueTracs front and rear and I really like them. I dont even know they are there until needed which is a positive thing in my opinion.

Are you considering an air locker or something else? If you cant disengage it the one major disadvantage I see would be turning at low speed, wouldn't the tires continually chirp?

Detroit Locker. It unlocks when needed as long as not on the skinny pedal. The low speed turning was my biggest concern also, but both guys who own them say not a big deal. I may ask to test drive one of their trucks just to make sure I like it before committing.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I had a Detroit locker on a daily driven vehicle. Any time I made a left hand turn at a stop light and accelerated at all it chirped the tires. So to not have it happen means you need to turn while coasting. U-turns are worse. I now have True Tracs front and rear and really like them. Like Shone said you never know they are there but the alway lock when you get on it.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
I had a Detroit locker on a daily driven vehicle. Any time I made a left hand turn at a stop light and accelerated at all it chirped the tires. So to not have it happen means you need to turn while coasting. U-turns are worse. I now have True Tracs front and rear and really like them. Like Shone said you never know they are there but the alway lock when you get on it.

Thats what I always thought about the Tru Trac, but I was told it didn't always work as advertised. Possible it wasn't set up correctly??

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
my tru trac was flawless. took a lil bit of adjusting to giving throttle in turns, but it was minor. i wouldnt hesitate to buy one again.

Jake

Reaction score
I have a tru trac in the SD and tow most of the time. Just a little adjusting on driving and it is perfect. I have had detroits in a few rigs and they are great, but I do not like them in a daily driver or something you tow heavy with.

lubeowner

Reaction score
I have had both and would pick the tru trac over the the locker. Only time I would change that opinion is on a rock crawler. The tru trac need some slight load to lock up, so if one tire comes off the ground it will not lock. You can use your brakes and get it to lock.

zabeard

Reaction score
Ive had both as well in my Ranger. Both I dont mind but I prefer the locker because its guaranteed. Im not sure about being in a DD, your tires wont like you thats for sure. Id probably go with the Tru Trac

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Ive had both as well in my Ranger. Both I dont mind but I prefer the locker because its guaranteed. Im not sure about being in a DD, your tires wont like you thats for sure. Id probably go with the Tru Trac

Tires are like Doritos, we'll make more. I believe skinny pedal driver input to be the ultimate culprit in premature tire wear anyway. I arranged a test drive today to actually drive a locker equipped superduty to help me decide. Again the excessive lash continues to be the only con expressed by the guys running them around here. More will be revealed...

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Since really looking into this topic as to help me decide which differential I will run, I have noticed that Eaton offers an "improved" Detroit Locker. Evidently the engagement and noise is less harsh compared to the older tried and true design. Does anyone have any experience with the newer variant to either confirm or deny the manufacture's claims?

Danbonzo

Reaction score
Test drove the Locker today (Thanks again Eviltwins!!!) I found it's street manners were just fine for me. I experienced no attributes that turned me off to it. This is what I noticed in order from most to least,
1) It's just straight up mean.
2) Compared to my Limited slip, the lash in the driveline. On/ off the accelerator and you can feel and hear the engage/ disengage of the unit, but I didn't find it annoying at all.
3) If really on the go pedal in a sweeping turn and suddenly lift, you can feel the rear end sort of twitch (as in trying to settle out if you can imagine).
4) Super flat tires LOL. Actually this one was pointed out to me, but you know how the fronts wear, (the scale phenomenon thing) if one rotates the tires vigilantly it trues them right up again. I found that amusing since I'm really big on maintenance so I actually consider that one to be a bone.

I know most will say tire wear will be accelerated because of the outside wheel fighting the inside wheel, but I really believe tire wear to be predominantly related to go pedal position, e.g. heavy usage. I need to be honest w/ myself here, I'm running race tunes as DD for a reason. Tire wear isn't exactly at the top of my priority list if you follow, but it is a reality if I choose to be mindful of it and drive to that end. So for the moment, I'm waiting to see if my heads come back ok from machinist, if they aren't junk I should be able to swing the cost of the rear also.
Waiting is a bee-otch cause I really want this bad a$$ rear now not later! My gut tells me that the heads aren't cracked but you never know, fingers crossed...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.