Bad Block Heater

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Okay so I went to plug in the ol truck and had her plugged in for 30 min or so in 2 degrees F and all she did was turn over and not even try to start with using the glow plugs. How would you change the block heater and is their an easy way to test it to see of its bad?

sniper_101

Reaction score
30 min isn't very long. At that temp I usually set my timer to start 3 hours before I need it.

With that said, at 2*, it should cold start without the block heater, might not like it, but it should. Sure your GP system is working 100%?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Okay so I went to plug in the ol truck and had her plugged in for 30 min or so in 2 degrees F and all she did was turn over and not even try to start with using the glow plugs. How would you change the block heater and is their an easy way to test it to see of its bad?

Well, it needs a couple hours to work. And it would be more likely that the cord is bad.

And it sounds more likely your glow plugs/GPR and/or batteries are more likely to blame.

*Edit* ^Beat me to it, lol

Last edited:

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Okay so I guess I have some bad GP. The batteries were strong....until I tried to start it . Ive plugged my truck in before with it it and I didnt get heat right away and its given me kinda a rough start so thats why I think its no good. Or if the chord is bad. Anyway I can test it? Does that truck have a million miles on it or did it have a .2 at the end?

ToMang07

Reaction score
Okay so I guess I have some bad GP. The batteries were strong....until I tried to start it . Ive plugged my truck in before with it it and I didnt get heat right away and its given me kinda a rough start so thats why I think its no good. Or if the chord is bad. Anyway I can test it? Does that truck have a million miles on it or did it have a .2 at the end?

Definately a .2 at the end, lol

Give it a full minute or so once you turn the GPs on, see if that helps. The GPR could be bad, the GPs could be worn, Could be quite a few things. Either way you shouldn't HAVE to plug the truck in to start it.

And in my experience, a good synthetic oil makes a significant difference when starting at sub-zero temps. :thumbup:

mandkole

Reaction score
Neighbor's 2000 did the same thing-- had to have a heater once it got down below 40F. 5 of the 8 GPs were dead or almost dead and one was a little cranky trying to get it out (sticky tip).

Agree on checking the cord first. New cords are $20 at an intl dealer. You should hear it working almost immediately if its quiet out and the hoses will begin to get warm after an hour.

ToMang's truck starts good...

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
Wait what do you mean by you should hear it work? Ive never heard it work but Ive only used the block heater a few times. This is the coldest its ever been with my truck

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
There is usually an audible hum or buzz when you plug it in. Similar to the sound of high voltage power lines, or your toaster makes when it's working. Some trucks are quieter than others.
Easiest way to test it is to plug it in for a couple hrs then feel your coolant hoses.

rfrostick

Reaction score
you could also plug it in and feel with your hands around the heating element and it will be warm if it is working. drivers side just above the oil filter on the oil cooler back half. mine wasnt working and after looking around one of the wires on the back of the plug was actually broke so a $7 male plug end and about 10 mins later works like a charm

Demon

Reaction score
I've had many a neutral prong fail on my block heater cords. Then it trips the GFI breaker on the outlet, and will immediately trip it everytime after that. You can meter out the heater through the cord. If you knew the wattage of the heater element at 110v you can calculate the resistance to expect when you ohm out the 2 prongs of the element. But as long as its not totally open, its usually good to go. Ohm the neutral to each leg separately, it should be infinity (open) to each. In my personal experience, it usually been the cord neutral that shorts to one leg or the other.

Replace the cord.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

texasboy91

Reaction score
Neighbor's 2000 did the same thing-- had to have a heater once it got down below 40F. 5 of the 8 GPs were dead or almost dead and one was a little cranky trying to get it out (sticky tip).

Agree on checking the cord first. New cords are $20 at an intl dealer. You should hear it working almost immediately if its quiet out and the hoses will begin to get warm after an hour.

ToMang's truck starts good...

this is exactly how my truck is.

_DieselPower_

Reaction score
So neutral prong was bad on my extension chord so I bought a new one and I went to plug in my truck tonight after my plugging her in for a few days and she shocked me! Damn thing. I think it just got a lil wet

Latest posts

Members online