Bad cackle at idle

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Not having a good day. Went and picked up truck from parking lot. It is cackling at idle when engine is unloaded. If it's idling in park, idling in gear or right at a shift. No CEL and no way to scan. No smoke and I dont notice a power loss.
-it's an 01 with just intake/exhaust.
Suggestions would be nice

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Was warm when the wife left it. Was cooled down when I picked it up. Sounded the same through cold to operating temp. Oil level is good, oil is about at half life (still golden) and fuel filter is new.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Have video cant upload grr. It's not the normal rattling cackle of a 7.3, but a mighty roar or a clattering cackle that diminishes at the touch of the pedal only to re appear at a shift. I also wiggled harnesses at VC but no change.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
without any codes its a crapshoot... drain water/fuel separator and see if anything changes.. does it consistently even after up to operating temps?

live life full throttle

Freightshaker

Reaction score
-I drained and changed filter with no change.
-Temp seems to have no noticeable effect

What do you mean on idle voltage?

psduser1

Reaction score
Any way to pull codes? Just guessing without some more info. My guess is a batch of poor fuel. Maybe try a shot of power service or something along those lines.

mandkole

Reaction score
drain the fuel bowl into a glass jar. You could also pull the filter to see if there is any water in the bowl

No codes come from the fuel system, but this feels like sudden change in fuel supply.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Eased up from 12.25 tto 14.5 after startup.
did it stay that high or settle around 14.2ish?
Any way to pull codes? Just guessing without some more info. My guess is a batch of poor fuel. Maybe try a shot of power service or something along those lines.
yep.. this too!! give her a high dose of white bottle power service.

live life full throttle

Freightshaker

Reaction score
did it stay that high or settle around 14.2ish?

yep.. this too!! give her a high dose of white bottle power service.

live life full throttle

Probably would have settled but I was checking in a hurry in the rain. Was just starting to close ebpv and ramp up the idle when I shut it back down. Was still running the same cold this morning. I'll give her a dose of PS when I'm back. A friend has the torque app will that pull codes I need or is that just CEL codes?

Latest posts

Members online