Bad Compression Test Results

DFW64

Reaction score
Found out this morning that cylinders #2 and #8 are overfueling.

Had #5 injector replaced in Feb from a rusted Transfer Flow tank that sent rust all through the fuel system.

Have a bad feeling that all of the injectors are slowly starting to go. Tech tells me that he could replace the injectors, but there is no way to tell if the pistons are melted. And replacing the injectors at the dealership would be right around $2500.

Can't decide if I want to get rid of it or tear it down and fix it. At this point, I feel like I'm into it for too much money to sell it.

The budget to rebuild would be between $7000-$10000.

Not looking to make it a hot rod, but would like to make it bulletproof.

Thoughts?

DFW64

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Rudy's

They can do 7 injectors, studs, gaskets, machine the heads (if necessary), possibly 2-3 pistons and rods and stay within my budget.

All I have to do is get it there from Texas....

TurboM700

Reaction score
Why not just buy a 6.4 long block for 3-5k and get it swapped in? Look on ebay and watch around here and other fourms I have seen them go in that price range.

DFW64

Reaction score
Why not just buy a 6.4 long block for 3-5k and get it swapped in? Look on ebay and watch around here and other fourms I have seen them go in that price range.

I'm sure that's a viable option, but honestly I'm out of my element on this one. And it sounds like alot of work.

I understand what the problem is, but I don't know the cost/benefit analysis of a new long block vs. what I have stated previously.

All I know is that both Rudy's and my diesel tech have said the same thing. If you're gonna keep it, replace all the injectors, stud it, check for melted pistons and machine the heads if necessary.

I'm waiting to hear back from one other person and if he agrees with the others, then that's what I'm gonna do.

Rudy's gave me the Don Corleone offer....hard to refuse.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Checking the pistons shouldn't be very hard. We have a small camera with a 5mm end on it from snapon. You can drop it right down the injector or glow hole and check the pistons in a matter of minutes. It also has a mirror you can thread on it to look back up and check the valves. What were your compression numbers on the cylinders. Also is the tech just checking the cranking compression with the IDS or actually putting a compression tester down the hole. Either way they should be to give you the numbers.

DFW64

Reaction score
Checking the pistons shouldn't be very hard. We have a small camera with a 5mm end on it from snapon. You can drop it right down the injector or glow hole and check the pistons in a matter of minutes. It also has a mirror you can thread on it to look back up and check the valves. What were your compression numbers on the cylinders. Also is the tech just checking the cranking compression with the IDS or actually putting a compression tester down the hole. Either way they should be to give you the numbers.

All that was done was a cylinder contribution test. Putting compression test in the topic line was my mistake.

The test shows that injectors 2 and 8 were over-fueling. I believe the IDS showed a +20 value for both.

The tech said that he hasn't had that much luck with using the camera and that he couldn't be 100% sure about the condition of the piston.

At that point, and after paying $185 for the test, I figured I had enough information to start calling around about solutions and repairs.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
if the injectors were over fueling it will generally show a negative number from washing the rings. The first thing to do would be put a compression tester in and see what the actual number is. Id would just hate to see you tear your motor down when all you need is a couple injectors.

DFW64

Reaction score
if the injectors were over fueling it will generally show a negative number from washing the rings. The first thing to do would be put a compression tester in and see what the actual number is. Id would just hate to see you tear your motor down when all you need is a couple injectors.

I'm not really familiar with the IDS stuff. They had it hooked up to the laptop thru the OBDII port. The tech stepped on the gas and the graph showed the activity for all cylinders; #2 and #8 were higher than all the others and then you could see where they would cut back on fuel.

At this point, I've decided to send it out to Charles at KEM and have him take a look at it.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
That is the Relative compression test. I always do a relative compression first then an actual compression test of the affected cylinders. Followed by a visual of the cylinder with my camera. The relative compression test is very good at giving the tech a general idea of where to go next in there diagnosis. However it is not the end of the diagnosis by any means. Sounds to me like sending it to a different shop is a good idea at this time. I'm sure the guys at KEM will get you setup.

DFW64

Reaction score
That is the Relative compression test. I always do a relative compression first then an actual compression test of the affected cylinders. Followed by a visual of the cylinder with my camera. The relative compression test is very good at giving the tech a general idea of where to go next in there diagnosis. However it is not the end of the diagnosis by any means. Sounds to me like sending it to a different shop is a good idea at this time. I'm sure the guys at KEM will get you setup.

I only asked them to do that test. I suspected something was up; just needed verification. The techs are good, but I'm not willing to pay Ford anymore money. The price they want to replace two injectors is absurd. It could be a small fortune by the time its over and done.

I'd rather flatbed the truck and send it across the country. After talking with Mike and Charles, I have every confidence they will figure it out. Ford has enough of my money.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I only asked them to do that test. I suspected something was up; just needed verification. The techs are good, but I'm not willing to pay Ford anymore money. The price they want to replace two injectors is absurd. It could be a small fortune by the time its over and done.

I'd rather flatbed the truck and send it across the country. After talking with Mike and Charles, I have every confidence they will figure it out. Ford has enough of my money.

yeah, all mike is saying is that a lot more diagnosing would be done on most folks part before they sent it out ... dont get me wrong, if you send it to aaron its in good hands, but hopefully the diagnosis is simple.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you pull the oil cap ? Is there a lot of blow by ?

at this point will, i doubt any of this matters. i, personally would wanna be damn sure skippy what my issues were before i made a decision, mind you, i just diagnosed my own destruction, thank god i was right. i woulda been pissed to pull the motor over a blown turbo..lol

DFW64

Reaction score
yeah, all mike is saying is that a lot more diagnosing would be done on most folks part before they sent it out ... dont get me wrong, if you send it to aaron its in good hands, but hopefully the diagnosis is simple.

Right. Not trying to come across as harsh. :toast:

I know the tech well and he knows my truck. But three injectors going bad within 8 months is not good. Especially when you know that a good amount of rust has gone thru the fuel system.

I always knew this was a possibility when the rust first showed up in my fuel filters. It was a crap shoot when I replaced the first injector that failed.

Just needed to verify it with IDS. Everything else I'll leave up to Charles

Last edited:

Nos_GTSR

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, if I was shipping my truck to be worked on it would either be going to Rudy's or to Hallers. Those two shops have an excellent track record. But like I said its just my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online