Bad Dual Steering Stabilizer design???

Tazer15

Reaction score
I was told by Pro Comp that my dual steering stabilizer setup is known for blowing stabilizers.Their blown now (2 Ranchos) the bushings are blown out also.He told me this type of setup that bolts to the axle and the stabilizers go between it and the tie rod blow stabilizers by over extending them.You have to run the style that puts them in front of the tie rod.As I look at these they do look over extended the sleeve has pulled thru and split the bushing.I took them to Oreillys to warrenty them and realized they are not the P# that shows up for a dual setup.The P# that does are 1-2" longer extended.I went ahead and ordered the longer ones to give it a shot,figured why not its a warrenty replacement.Anyone have any experience on this???

LReiff

Reaction score
I have the dual rancho setup on my 05 F350 front axle and it works great. Been on there over 50K miles and I've had no issues.

Tazer15

Reaction score
?

Its the one that locates the dampners in between the axle and the tie rod not in front of the tie rod correct?Theres a part # on your dampners stamped into the bottom of the body.If you get a chance would you mind giving me that number?

LReiff

Reaction score
It has the dampers located above the tie rod, exactly like the picture below except with red boots covering the damper rods.

ss_vehicimg.jpg

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
Thought the same thing 6.4psd916, my procomp drivers side blew within a year. I liked the idea of the design since it was a little more protected, but...

Good thing they are cheap!

BravoZulu81

Reaction score
Ok, I thought I was crazy. I have a pro-comp that came with the truck and it's behind, the shocks hit the diff cover and driver side had catastrophic failure! haha blew really bad. I'm considering replacing with PMF...

BravoZulu81

Reaction score
So? It gave me the info I needed. At least I know it's a garbage mount, and others had the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe d

Reaction score
Didnt mean to make you feel that way was just saying it was an old thread its good that you confirmed the same as the other's. Im looking into the pmf nice setup

Notneb

Reaction score
Here I am with a little Carli single setup just chugging along... Why go with a dual?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
^ Im curious on this as well. I dont do a bunch of off roading with my truck, but tow about on e a month. Its also my driver, all im running is stock right now, but woukd like to upgrade in the future. Most upgrades seem to be dual setups, is it really needed? Notneb seems to run pretty hard in the desert, and is doing ok with one?

Jomax

Reaction score
^ Im curious on this as well. I dont do a bunch of off roading with my truck, but tow about on e a month. Its also my driver, all im running is stock right now, but woukd like to upgrade in the future. Most upgrades seem to be dual setups, is it really needed? Notneb seems to run pretty hard in the desert, and is doing ok with one?

It's a band aid for death wobble and it's for looks. I ran it once and it sucked. Made steering harder. Etc.

I'd personally run a good single shock.

Heck, I ran my stocker on my truck off-road HARD and never had an issue. Still running the stocker to boot.

BravoZulu81

Reaction score
If it's making steering more difficult then there is something else wrong as that's not how they operate, they aren't valved like a standard shock.
My truck is lifted 6" and I have 37" tires... A single can only do so much for bump steer when on bad roads etc. You can read about guys upgrading the track bars etc and saying they don't need any stabilizers... I don't quite buy that as I understand the geometry and at speed it's going to need to be dampened... Especially the higher your lift.

If you have a full carli setup I wouldn't change a thing as they sure the heck know what they are doing and everything is designed to work together. Less expensive lifts with less thought and engineering (like came on my truck when I inherited it) have stiff spring rates that don't really work incredibly well with stock or single stabilizers. It's not a bandaid for death wobble, as you can still experience it if your track arm bushings/ball joints are worn... It just helps with overall drivability and road feel.

Jomax

Reaction score
If it's making steering more difficult then there is something else wrong as that's not how they operate, they aren't valved like a standard shock.
My truck is lifted 6" and I have 37" tires... A single can only do so much for bump steer when on bad roads etc. You can read about guys upgrading the track bars etc and saying they don't need any stabilizers... I don't quite buy that as I understand the geometry and at speed it's going to need to be dampened... Especially the higher your lift.

If you have a full carli setup I wouldn't change a thing as they sure the heck know what they are doing and everything is designed to work together. Less expensive lifts with less thought and engineering (like came on my truck when I inherited it) have stiff spring rates that don't really work incredibly well with stock or single stabilizers. It's not a bandaid for death wobble, as you can still experience it if your track arm bushings/ball joints are worn... It just helps with overall drivability and road feel.

It was a band aid on my old truck when I bought it. With it on, no death wobble, took them off and went for a drive to test somthing and I experienced the worst I ever have. Found out my track bar joint was worn badly.

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah I was kinda trying to be nice without saying a dual setup is wasted money on anything 4" lifted and under. And yes I'm not easy on my truck, easily seeing 60mph on stuff a stock SD would be doing 20-30mph on. I've NEVER had any issues with steering when associated with the stabilizer. However I'm leveled with 35's, not 6"+ with 37"+ tires, so I've no idea how on road performance is with that setup.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why guys without ridiculous lift/tire setups, use a dual. I'd say get a single and forget about it. I have Carli singles on both my trucks, once you adjust the pressure on them, they're amazing.

I'd say if you can get an adjustable pressure stabilizer and spend the time dialing it in, you'd get more out of it than an un-adjustable dual setup.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Everyone has their opinion...but until they start buying my mods that's all it is.
I like a dual stabilizer for the symmetry. No other reason...they just look better to me so that's what I wasted my money on.

Notneb

Reaction score
Everyone has their opinion...but until they start buying my mods that's all it is.
I like a dual stabilizer for the symmetry. No other reason...they just look better to me so that's what I wasted my money on.

Gotcha, I can't see mine so the asymmetry of it doesn't bother me.

Latest posts

Members online