Bad injector o rings maybe?

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Hey all, i have been googling and searching off and on for a few days now, and i havent really been able to pinpoint my issue. I started having hard start issues about a week ago. I would crank for about 1.5 seconds, then it would fire strong. Today after washing the truck, it failed to fire. I recycled the key, and it finally started. This time when it started, it kind of "rolled" into the start, and wasnt snappy. Almost like it stuttered to start.

I was getting a P012f code, so i had planned on pulling the manifold. I thought i might have a STC fitting issue, and planned on replacing those as well. However i stumbled accross a thread where a fella had bad o rings and was having similar issues. What is everybodys thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
ive heard of a failed copper washer push compression into the fuel rail and not allowing one to start. you can put a balloon over the fuel lines at the fuel blow and put a zip tie on them, then crank it with the jump wire and see if they blow up (from compression) but if its not wanting to start after you just drove it would most likely be hpo leak.

STRAIGHTSTROKEN04

Reaction score
I had a issue with my truck not starting hot a while back so I went ahead and did stand pipes and dummy plugs and that didnt fix it. Had the computer hooked up and everthing was fine while it was running, shut the truck off and it wouldnt start till the motor cooled back down. So next was pulling the injectors where we found the top o ring of the injector was broken or was torn. Replaced all the o-ring on every injector and put everthing back together. Ran fine until about 6 months later started to long crank then fire, then one day would crank but no fire... Pulled it back down and noticed that one of the top o rings was ripped... I had herd about the o rings in the oil rail going back causing that nipple looking piece to mess the o-ring up. Replaced all those and all new o rings again on the injectors and put back together no issues yet. Not that this is the case with your truck but just figured that i would give you what i have delt with.... I havent herd of many people replacing oil o-rings to help there no start issue. Hope you figure out your problem

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Well thats sort of how i feel. I dont see the relationship. I strongly feel its a fueling issue. I watched a youtube video on the dummy plugs and their o rings. I am considering replacing these ($20 each), check my STC fittings ($???) then pull the injectors. I dont want to pull the injectors and not make an upgrade, but i want to get this truck running 100% again. I can a performance loss, but it could all be in my mind. Almost feels flat footed mid to high range, giving me the impression that im having fueling issues.

Keep the conversation coming fellas. Still havent found any write ups for DIY... Ay links anybody?

Mdub707

Reaction score
No fuel pressure gauge? Have you pulled the upper fuel filter and turned the key to watch it fill with fuel? Not a definite test, but at least tells you the pump is working.

Likely a high pressure oil leak though. If it was me, I'd do it all at once. STC fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipes and new injector o-rings all at the same time.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
ive heard of a failed copper washer push compression into the fuel rail and not allowing one to start. you can put a balloon over the fuel lines at the fuel blow and put a zip tie on them, then crank it with the jump wire and see if they blow up (from compression) but if its not wanting to start after you just drove it would most likely be hpo leak.

Could it be hydro locking ? When op says it rolls into starting makes me think of he had a shot oring , could it just be leaking down to cyl

sent while staring at a windowed block

06-sixoh

Reaction score
I do have a fuel psi gauge, but its a cheaper gauge and has been whacked for a few months new. In other words unreliable. Im assuming i can just use a scan tool from auto zone, or does it have to be a specific scanner? My knowledge comes to a hault when i get to this point.

What is the cost on a new IPR? With rings, dummy plugs, oil cooler rebuild and an IPR, im guessing im around 1k for parts. If i can find a lift to pull the cab, i will do the labor myself. Put another 1k into it, and stud it while im in there.

Anyways, back on subject. Thanks for the info fellas.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You should be like 1/2 that cost man. Oil cooler rebuild is like $275 last I checked (OEM FORD), dummy plug and stand pipe kit was $102, IPR is like $175 I'm seeing. So around $550 or so, figure $600 including shipping for all Ford parts. The rings you'll have to get somewhere else as I don't believe you can order injector o-rings by themselves from Ford.

The scan tool from autozone will probably be useless.

Might be a good time to spend $360 for AE with ford bundle... worth it's weight in gold.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Looks like it off to google to find some info on a AE... im not complaining!

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It is definitely high pressure oil related, start with cheap stuff first. I would pull the valve covers and oil rails, do the dummy plugs, stand pipes, and the high pressure seals on the spool valve on the injector where the rail nipple inserts into the injector. I've seen so many trucks go through "the works" of high pressure parts and over look this.

06-sixoh

Reaction score
Well i guess i have a check list. I need to get AE ordered right away looks like. Good to have anyways. Thanks fellas

Mahdeys

Reaction score
99% of the time when i get a 6.0 with a hard hot restart or no fire, it is the top injector o-rings. Put air to the rail, open the IPR and with the valve covers off, you can hear where the leak is coming from. For as complex and friggen stupid the whole oil fired injector system is, it sure is easy to diagnose. God i wish they came from the factory with a cummins though...sigh...daydream.

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
It is definitely high pressure oil related, start with cheap stuff first. I would pull the valve covers and oil rails, do the dummy plugs, stand pipes, and the high pressure seals on the spool valve on the injector where the rail nipple inserts into the injector. I've seen so many trucks go through "the works" of high pressure parts and over look this.

my life last september.. 3 o rings on three injectors. all the top o ring that seals the oil rail.. very costly mistake to overlook these yet soo cheap to fix. cab can stay on to do all of this.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.