Bad miss or knock... (Video)

87jumpy

Reaction score
So I had a bad day today...

Got up for work, jumped in my work truck, turn the key to start... Click, click, click.

No big deal, jump in my 6.4, turn they key, cycle the glow plugs and start it.

I get this noise coming out of my intake...

th_video-2011-12-05-10-00-24.jpg

I shut it off right away, only restarted it long enough take this video...

Not sure where to start.

jdgleason

Reaction score
First, get a scanner on it. Figure out which cylinder(s) its coming from. Depending on your scanner, it should tell you if its a miss or something else. Then, you can do a leak down and figure out whether its a valve or something else. Then, tear it down and see whats up.

White_monster

Reaction score
Pushrod dropped off most likely. Happen to me a couple times. When you check it out, insect the rocker since the pushrod cup may have failed. Either way don't drive it or start it.

87jumpy

Reaction score
From my Dash Daq:

P0263 Cylinder 1 contribution/balance
P0284 Cylinder 8 contribution/balance

P0308 Cylinder 8 misfire

jdgleason

Reaction score
Sucks that its on both banks. Time to pull the heads and look for bent pushrods, or like Craig said, cracked pistons.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
So you just cranked the truck up and it sounded like this? No weird issues prior to this? Any stress on the truck at all recently? I guess because I have never bent a pushrod or cracked a piston, I don't really know much with regards to this, but it seems like to me there would be symptoms before the truck was shut off last.

Charles

Reaction score
Sounds like classic intake valve. I know nothing about that engine, but I would be looking for a bent or loose pushrod or broken rocker on #8. Probably threw the other cylinder code because of the firing order proximity. I don't know the firing order for the 6.4, but if 8 and 1 are close, then having the previous, or following cylinder also fail in a contribution isn't rare.

87jumpy

Reaction score
So you just cranked the truck up and it sounded like this? No weird issues prior to this? Any stress on the truck at all recently? I guess because I have never bent a pushrod or cracked a piston, I don't really know much with regards to this, but it seems like to me there would be symptoms before the truck was shut off last.

Truck was drove last to church last weekend, which is roughly 2 miles round trip. It has puked a couple times in the past, but nothing recently.

310 Spartan tune, Intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, CAC pipe, Southbend 3850 clutch are my mods

Last edited:

87jumpy

Reaction score
Sounds like classic intake valve. I know nothing about that engine, but I would be looking for a bent or loose pushrod or broken rocker on #8. Probably threw the other cylinder code because of the firing order proximity. I don't know the firing order for the 6.4, but if 8 and 1 are close, then having the previous, or following cylinder also fail in a contribution isn't rare.

I was thinking that in the back of my head, when the cylinder is on the power stroke it is forcing the air back though the engine.

I was hoping for a bad harness or something simple, but it sounds like the cab is coming up or i'm in for a treat cab on...:doh:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Does it have the egr system still on it? Any chance it could have leaked coolant into #8 cylinder over the long period of sitting then when you went to start it it caused alot of pressure in #8 and made something break?

87jumpy

Reaction score
What other gaskets are needed besides the head gaskets? Are there different thicknesses? Is everyone just using OEM, or going to something different. I am trying to get everything on hand before I pull the cab and tie up a lift.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Im going through this same thing, and just asked the same questions.... There is a 500-600 dollar list of parts you need to get through ford, intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, maybe some exhaust hardware in case your current breaks. All fuel lines under the valve covers and that go from the rails to the hpfp (10 total), might as well just get the head gaskets from ford as well if youre doing that.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ford gaskets i believe are the only option, they come with bolts which sucks but it is what it is.

Injector re-seal kits include the seals and the injection tubes

valve cover and valve cover base o-rings are usually ok to reuse

get all of the fuel washers for the return and supply on the cylinder heads

the list posted should have all your parts

dont forget coolant, and that you need to have the a/c evacuated before pulling the cab

Charles

Reaction score
Is it crazy talk to just yank a valvecover and check a freakin pushrod/rocker???

If so.... I will NEVER own one of those trucks. Good God. This should be like a 20 min deal.

Latest posts

Members online