bad speed sensor

99powerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Last 2 weeks my abs light has been coming on and off. Well monday it was flashing on and off for a few miles I notices my speed was at 0. Last few cold days I noticed the od blinking then stops and few miles later start blinking again. Trans is fresh with almost 5k on it and isnt acting up at all....shifts great,od is there,tc lockup..... Guess the question here is would a bad speed sensor cause these issues im having?

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes

Especially if you only have 2W ABS. If you have 4W ABS, the front ABS sensors will take care of the speedo if the rear sensor fails. You could try pulling the sensor out and cleaning off the face and reinstalling it. They are cheap at the Ford house though. Another one of those sensors that I don't like aftermarket.

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
Also check the wires from the VSS to the frame rail, I find a lot of the problems are damaged wires in that area.

powerstroke95

Reaction score
I had similar issues to this. Sounds crazy, but try unplugging the alternator. Mine appeared to be charging just like normal, but was throwing some wacky signals through the harness causing issues. If the problem goes away, then you found the problem.

Latest posts

Members online