Bad turbo club

14ccd

Reaction score
Well last monday I started up the truck and heard what seemed to be an abnormal turbo whine at start up and at idle but would go away when given throttle. Fast forward to Thursday the noise was getting worse and I mean louder. So i decided to drop buy the dealer and let him hear it, started it up and right away he said bad turbo, he then said to give it a little throttle and said bad turbo. He has done a lot of these and told me it wasn't if they go but when they go, just gave me that warm feeling all over. He did say that i would be ok going camping since i wasn't going far but if it got any louder to shut it off right away. I made it to the campground just fine no issues but when I went to pull out of my site it got really loud and stayed loud so I unhitched and called AAA. So I have an appointment tomorrow to get a new turbo. I really really wished I had the money to upgrade turbos but I guess I have to make a more reliable turbo a priority. Whose bright idea was this turbo design anyway?

jcain

Reaction score
You can do a retro yourself for about what you'll get charged to do a same same swap

jcain

Reaction score
And the turbo was a Honeywell joint effort. It's actually very clever, just wasn't executed quite right.

14ccd

Reaction score
I probably could do it myself but I just don't have the time, I have contracts that I must fulfill and need my truck. Also I don't have a garage or the proper place to do it in, I would be doing it in my stone driveway which is not the best option for doing this kind of work. It would be best for me to pay somebody to do the work, do it in a day and not be too far from where I live.

jcain

Reaction score
Maryland Diesel is about an hour or so from you. Might give them a call and see if they can do you up a little better and get you out of that factory turbo.

14ccd

Reaction score
Oh I didn't realize they were that close, thanks for that. It is better they are out of State too because many shops here in PA are afraid of doing work like that on a new truck, afraid of the rules I guess.

14ccd

Reaction score
Oh and the dealer did confirm the turbo was bad, duh, but now I have to wait on a new turbo to come in, it seems they are backordered.

Raptorgabe

Reaction score
i got one for sale even has a billet wheel in it only 1k miles on it or have a full stock one still good has 25k on it no play at all

14ccd

Reaction score
I am not going to buy a stock turbo when Ford is giving me a new one for free. I will upgrade later.

14ccd

Reaction score
Turbo came in Thursday afternoon but they won't be done until Monday night, dealerships are so frustrating to deal with. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. Hopefully they take their time and do it right and I have no further issues until I delete and get the turbo upgrade.

14ccd

Reaction score
Well got the truck Monday night, all seems well. I left the dealership and made the 5 1/2 round trip to get my camper and bring it home, needless to say I "tested" the turbo to make sure it was ok. One thing this experience with the dealer has convinced me of is that I need to start with the mods now. I was going to wait until I hit the 36k mark but heck with it. I have my exhaust now I need to call Mike and get that tuner here and then the '15 turbo swap. I guess I have to break out the credit card and make some calls.

14ccd

Reaction score
I came back from Vermont yesterday afternoon, the truck ran great, I got 12mpg on the way up then truck did a regen and mpg fell to 11.5. On the way home I got 11.6 mpg so not too bad. My '08 V10 got 10 mpg on the same trip 3 years ago so I am ok with the mpg. I did have 3 extension ladders on the top which would kill my fuel mileage and 2 other people with me and their luggage and their tools, probably around 12k. I can't complain, these trucks are a pleasure to drive.

Latest posts

Members online