Bad VGT squeal

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
I have an obnoxious squeal/exhaust leak coming from my VGT turbo where actuator arm goes into the exhaust housing. The squeal is so bad you can hardly carry on a conversation with anyone in the cab.
Has anyone dealt with this? is there a way to fix it without replacing the
Whole charger?

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have an exhaust leak in one of the up pipes. When I had a bellow leaking the vanes try to open farther and were making a noise.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
I been over both sides of the system with soapy water. The turbo has been the the only leak I have found found so far. unless it's something I'm overlooking.

Attachments

• 20140223_143956.jpg
    20140223_143956.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 94

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
There has got to be a bushing or seal of some sort in there Ide think..

How about you buy me a 59 and I'll give you the one I'm using now..

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Yeah I'm wondering if it's something that would come in a turbo rebuild kit?

How bout you buy a 59 and I'll take your stocker? ?

You sure is not the manifold the back two bolts break off fairly common. Also if you think it's leaking from the little turbo take off heat shield and tighten up the clamp than tap housing with a hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boggerr

Reaction score
You sure is not the manifold the back two bolts break off fairly common. Also if you think it's leaking from the little turbo take off heat shield and tighten up the clamp than tap housing with a hammer.

:whs:
I'm dealing with a broken manifold bolt right now. Take a look at those bolts, makes that squeal sound before the gasket blows out. I couldn't tell it was leaking until I got the manifold off.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
:whs:

I'm dealing with a broken manifold bolt right now. Take a look at those bolts, makes that squeal sound before the gasket blows out. I couldn't tell it was leaking until I got the manifold off.

What side? Passenger is really fun!!!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Man, the only sqeaul I've ever heard out of a 6.4 turbo wad the compressor wheel Makin contact with vanes...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Man, the only sqeaul I've ever heard out of a 6.4 turbo wad the compressor wheel Makin contact with vanes...

I really hope you mean turbine LOL

The manifold is the most common leak, you need to check the manifold for flatness as well, haller just had a truck that did the same thing, replaced the turbo even with no result, ended up being a warped manifold.

IT is possible for the vanes to hit the turbine wheel but not really common. spinning it by hand should narrow one or the other down

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score

I would think if that was the case it would get worse with more boost?
Mine starts around 5 psi of back pressure and ends around 10 psi. Also turbos are relatively new with very minimal end play.

boggerr

Reaction score
What side? Passenger is really fun!!!
Driver side bottom rear, of course the broken bolt wouldn't come out. Right now I have it drilled out for a heli coil, just have to tap it.

That's what I thought at first but the manifold gasket acts like a reed until it blows out.

I would think if that was the case it would get worse with more boost?
Mine starts around 5 psi of back pressure and ends around 10 psi. Also turbos are relatively new with very minimal end play.

Exactly how mine was. It started of as a chirping sound then went to a squeal two days later.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
Not yet, I knocked out my trans and haven't been able to drive it yet.

You mean you haven't borrowed my turbo and trans yet so you could go blast a couple other trucks off the road while your waiting for parts? ... Or have you just been cruising mine around? HAHA lol lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.