Ball joint replacement cost

mac2720

Reaction score
I've got an 03 superduty on 10 inches and 38s and I just took it to get inspected and it wouldnt pass because the driver side tire has some play when jacked up. The passenger side is completely tight which is weird. However, I wanted to see how much it would cost me to have upper and lower ball joints replaced on the driver side? Parts and labor at a normal shop. I also noticed a little play in my tie rod running to the pitman arm. Might as well get that replaced as well.

My truck will probably be going to the shop to get the ac compressor fixed this week so wanted to see how much it would cost me to get that stuff fixed while it was in there. If its pricey then I'm not going to stress it too much right now. Thanks!

NCPowerStroke

Reaction score
when my ball joints in my truck were bad the auto shop i took em to was gonna charge 800....

mac2720

Reaction score
when my ball joints in my truck were bad the auto shop i took em to was gonna charge 800....
was that for all 4? both driver and passenger side? my passenger side is tight so im just looking to replace the driver side upper and lower.

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
I just replaced mine this past weekend. All four ball joints and the trackbar lower ball joint. Spent $300 total.

Sent from my ADR6400L

David N

Reaction score

Yeah, Ford dealer told me $400 a side. I told them to shove it. I think it was $150 to do it myself.

Next time I will go back with XRF, which is gonna be really soon. I can hear a popping when I turn now.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
Just tossed together a moog drag link on my 01. Didn't take long and was a 0 on a difficulty scale of 1-10. Think it was $200-$250 to do it myself $450 was what a tire place wanted when it went for an alignment. I probably have receipt if you need part # and price (O'Rileys). They told me it was special order until I found part numbers for them, then they found them on shelf lol.

INFRNL

Reaction score
Wheres a good place to get the tools needed to do ball joints? Can you get them at harbor freight?
What brand joints you guys using? Ive heard xrf is the best way to go cause moog has dropped the ball on quality

smokin99stroke

Reaction score
Wheres a good place to get the tools needed to do ball joints? Can you get them at harbor freight?
What brand joints you guys using? Ive heard xrf is the best way to go cause moog has dropped the ball on quality

XRF and local auto parts stores should have ball joint presses to loan.. Advance, Autozone... etc

mac2720

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everybody! Doesnt seem too pricey to have it done. I will more than likely take it to my trusted mechanic rather than paying ford to inflate the price. I was expecting to pay over $500 just to have one side done. Looks like XRF is the way to go!

Latest posts

Members online