Ball joints, now knuckle is tight

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just torqued up a fresh set of moogs and now I can barely turn the knuckle. Is there a break in period or do I whack the knuckle up and down like seating caps in a u joint?

TheRobenator

Reaction score
Did you press them in fully? I know it is kind of a dumb questions but if it isn't pressed in fully then it could still be pulling it onto the knuckle then onto the seat of the ball-joint.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
yes sir, fully seated.

on the ground the steering doesnt feel tight, so I dont think its a big deal. going from flopping from one side to the other and then not being able to barely turn it at all one handed kinda scared me, but I guess its fine, rides great

OBS F350

Reaction score
Never had balljoints do that but plenty of king pins. I just make sure they are greased well and they will loosen up after driving.

Pmac21

Reaction score
I am having this same problem with moog joints. Its causing my steering wheel to "stick" when I make a slight turn. I greased them before installing and they are seated all the way. Any other things to look at?

Reaction score
It's pretty normal after installing them. Give them a few hundred miles and they will be better. I also suggest waiting to do an alignment until they are loosened back up or else the alignment tends to be off slightly once they do.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Yep. Mine loosened uo after awhile, now off to do the other side

Inline6359

Reaction score
Any tight ball joints I usually back the nut of and smack the knuckle, get it moving free and tighten it back down, seems to always work for me.

garych11

Reaction score
I put Moog ball joints on mine too. It was binding in a slight turn, I found the top ball joint grease fitting was rubbing on the front 4x4 axel shaft.

Pmac21

Reaction score
I put Moog ball joints on mine too. It was binding in a slight turn, I found the top ball joint grease fitting was rubbing on the front 4x4 axel shaft.

I didn't leave the grease fitting in the top ball joint on mine. I put grease in it and then installed the plug that comes with it.

pdumont01

Reaction score
I usually take a grinder to the part of the fitting that contacts the ujoint plenty of material to remove just don't over do it that way it can still be greased easily.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pmac21

Reaction score
I have a little over 100 miles on mine. Hopefully they will loosen up soon. Im tired of the sticky feeling in the steering going down the highway.

Highroller54

Reaction score
Are you guys knocking the upper alignment bushing out and cleaning it and then fallowing the proper torque specs? Are you crushing the ball joints case at all when pressing them in?

Kellyo77

Reaction score
It will loosen up. Just went through mine and it did the same thing to me. Was really tight, but loosened up and it is much better now.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
are you guys fallowing the manufacturers tq specs? if so there usually isnt an issue.. but as stated, they will losen up after a bit of driving...

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online