BANG...No gears???

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Driving along, normal, maybe 1/4 throttle, truck shifts to 3rd, hear a bang, truck jerks, and no more gears. Just free revs in all gears, manually shift the lever and no response. Drive shaft is in tact. Next thought is input shaft??? I dont know enough abou trans stuff to make an educated guess. What do you guys think? Temps have been normal consistently, but i am putting 500hp through a local build trans with a PI converter.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

oldbluef250

Reaction score
If you have absolutely no gears, i would say something took out your pump, or the pump isn't spinning cause your input shaft broke. I would say your tc broke put you have a p.i. so i highly doubt it

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Last PI lost a bearing, then trans took a dump because of crap floating in fluid and clogged the filter. This had no warning just a harsh bang and jerk and then nothing, which is why im leaning towards the shaft. No CEL or OD light to indicate TC acting up before failure. All signs point to a hard part breaking.

brian89

Reaction score
Its probably the splines on the drive clutch drum after the intermediate shaft, if it has reverse thats not the problem, but if it sounds like it shifts into gear but doesn't move, that what it is, mine did the same thing shifting from first to second, big shudder and bang then nothing, from what I've read its very common for those splines to strip

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I will hopefully get a chance to get back down to where the truck is tonight and see if i can figure any more out. I am in the middle of moving and was just beat last night, so i just grabbed another vehicle and figured i would worry about it later. I had a friend pull it back to his place since it was closer.

So next question is are there any signs i can look for before pulling the trans that might narrow it down? Reverse is gone also, but it does hold in park ( i figured it would but i dont know what actually holds it in park to know if that indicates anything). There was no grinding or any odd sounds after. One thing i thought of while laying awake was that i didnt check to see if the drive shaft spun, just checked to see if it was still attached, thinking maybe the rear end blew apart or something ( hoping for something other than pulling the trans. Lol.)

neverkickn

Reaction score
I don't see it holding in park if the rear end is the culprit. Sounds like whatever you have going on, the trans is going to have to come out to fix it.

brian89

Reaction score
Ill post a pic of what park looks like later, its just a gear and paw in the extention housing of the trans, but if no reverse its more than likely the drive drum splines, rebuild time

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
Probably the input shaft.

Super high probability if you've got that converter with a stock input for instance.

If it were the OD planet you would hear a loud whining noise when the engine is running and you put the trans in gear. Do you?

If not, then it's probably the input shaft.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
Probably the input shaft.

Super high probability if you've got that converter with a stock input for instance.

If it were the OD planet you would hear a loud whining noise when the engine is running and you put the trans in gear. Do you?

If not, then it's probably the input shaft.

No odd noise at all. I don't remember if it sounded like it wanted to go into gear or not when I shifted the lever, but I do know there was no loud whining noise.

So if it is an input shaft, how hard is that to do on your own, and would it have taken anything out with it? Transmissions are one thing I've never done, all the parts and tolerances and such make me nervous which is why I never dove into it. But an input shaft seems like I wouldn't be getting into all of that, as long as it didn't take anything else with it, so I feel better about it.

Next question would be, there are a few options for upgraded input shafts, any experience on which ones hold up better?

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
When I asked if it could have taken anything out with it, I meant other than the pump and TC. I know those are possibilities, at this stage would I have any indication if either of those were damaged? Probably not until I take it apart.

brian89

Reaction score
Its either input shaft or intermediate shaft splines, either way your dropping the trans, suncoast has billet input shafts, if its the input i would still take it apart and flush it or clean it just to make sure there are no metal parts inside

Last edited:

Charles

Reaction score
If you popped the shaft clean, then if the snout on the pump isn't gouged inside (look at it with a pen light) and the new input shaft feels good inside the hub on the TC, then stick the new shaft in, slap it back together and rock out.

Latest posts

Members online