Banks

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
The only item that I know anyone in the 7.3 crowd goes for is banks IC spider for the OBS trucks.

They buy the kit and take the spider and ebay the rest cause the 6.0 cooler is better than their overpriced name junk.
Banks himself has said that PSD's are junk.
What about intake and exhaust? Never heard anything negative about those other than the Banks name.

Talyn

Reaction score
Your still paying for the banks name on their products.

Why do you like the banks cooler better Tom?

Tom S

Reaction score
Things I like about the Banks Intercooler:

heavy cast aluminum tanks

very nice easy to install bracketry for the cooler itself

good directions

a very tough finish on the pipes

pipes that fit good without having to tweak other stuff
(I think all I had to do was tweak the AC line)

good boots

good clamps

I well designed Y-pipe

hot side separate from cold side

rubber isolator mounts

Y pipe is secured to turbo outlet

V band attachment to stock charger

diverters in the end tanks to help distribute airflow

That all being said the Banks kit was a very good fit for where I was at with my truck at the time. I was also not at a point to be doing custom intercooler pipes and such so the other choice would have been Hypermax or the baby ATS. If I was doing it today I might pick another path and fab up my own pipes although it is nice having pretty much one piece mandrel bent tubes. For a guy that is sticking with a stock charger or a D66 esp I see nothing wrong going with Banks. If one could get the pipe kit and do a regular SD charger that would be a good option as well.

old man dave

Reaction score
Lol, help being stage 2 injectors and a multi-position chip?

My 96 with their powerpack, billet convertor and transcommand made a little over 300. It worked good don't get me wrong, but there is nothing better than a good set of sticks with proper tuning. :)

As Banks claims in the small print of their brochure. '97 California truck about 270 hp with the Ottomind chip. And so did mine....

At the time, Banks PowerPack, Maddog stage II 160s with old Dieselpower (Bill Cohron) 2003 tunes, BTS transmission and about every small mod you ever heard of (and some you didn't) for the 7.3 and with the stock muffler. Never dyno'ed the truck after adding a true 4" exhaust, electric fuel, dptuner and a terminator but I suspect the truck would have run far better than the 14.501/1.99 0-60' it did with the 408hp setup.

Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I would LOVE to get banks pipes to go with my 99 I/C and 99 spider, but will they line up?

My buddy has done several of the SD intercooler installs using the early 99 intake manifold adaptor (spider) using SD pipes slightly modified (cutting and welding). If you can't weld, have you considered just using rubber couplers/clamps to modify the SD pipes. Worst case is you jig up the pipes with the rubber couplers and have a welding/muffler shop make the final welds using premade tailpipe bends to finish it off. This should be cheaper than the cost of the Banks stuff. Premade bends are availiable from airflowonline and probably the local NAPA store.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would bet you could probably tape joints enough if you were only making one cut and then cut out one narrow section fo tape at a time to tack weld.

old man dave

Reaction score
I would bet you could probably tape joints enough if you were only making one cut and then cut out one narrow section fo tape at a time to tack weld.

The rubber couplers could be used if boost pressure was low enough to not blow the joints apart. We actually use a modified bead roller from Harbor Freight to roll beads on the ends of the intercooler tubing. The tape should work well enough to cut/fit/tack the SD pipes and have a welding shop finish them off. My buddy has done it both ways.

My buddy just happens to be a master mechanic/machinist who loves to make the odd bits and pieces that make my truck work. One of the side benefits of being a munincipal worker with access to a complete general maintenence shop.

Talyn

Reaction score
Things I like about the Banks Intercooler:

heavy cast aluminum tanks

very nice easy to install bracketry for the cooler itself

good directions

a very tough finish on the pipes

pipes that fit good without having to tweak other stuff
(I think all I had to do was tweak the AC line)

good boots

good clamps

I well designed Y-pipe

hot side separate from cold side

rubber isolator mounts

Y pipe is secured to turbo outlet

V band attachment to stock charger

diverters in the end tanks to help distribute airflow

That all being said the Banks kit was a very good fit for where I was at with my truck at the time. I was also not at a point to be doing custom intercooler pipes and such so the other choice would have been Hypermax or the baby ATS. If I was doing it today I might pick another path and fab up my own pipes although it is nice having pretty much one piece mandrel bent tubes. For a guy that is sticking with a stock charger or a D66 esp I see nothing wrong going with Banks. If one could get the pipe kit and do a regular SD charger that would be a good option as well.

All great points.
The reason guys go for the 6.oh cooler is that it is a better cooler.

That's all. =)

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I think the Banks IC kit would kill everything else on the market if they would lower there price. Its not like it really costs them a lot to make or they don't have enough demand to do it. Especially with a lot of people who don't have access to MIG's or TIG's. Because I can tell you one thing, welding exhaust tubing with a stick welder is a pain in the a$$

Tom S

Reaction score
I think the Banks IC kit would kill everything else on the market if they would lower there price. Its not like it really costs them a lot to make or they don't have enough demand to do it. Especially with a lot of people who don't have access to MIG's or TIG's. Because I can tell you one thing, welding exhaust tubing with a stick welder is a pain in the a$$

I agree totally on that one.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
All great points.
The reason guys go for the 6.oh cooler is that it is a better cooler.

That's all. =)

Talyn... Spouting more non truths...

The Core of the Banks cooler is larger and flows more air then a 6.0 IC. The banks unit is all metal, with welded end tanks...

You might be able to get away with your BS posts over at FTE, but not here.

Arisley

Reaction score
The only thing bad about Banks hard parts is the price, but all of the R&D that goes into those parts is not free. As long as people are willing to pay the price for them, the price will not come down. You gotta remember, they are not in business to make friends.

Plus, all those parts come with a Banks Sticker, we all know what those things alone do to your horsepower.

old man dave

Reaction score
They also have to pay for all of that glossy page advertising. Their stickers are nice though, used to use them when I went trolling for fish, every SuperDuty around would want to kick my butt...LOL

Talyn

Reaction score
Talyn... Spouting more non truths...

The Core of the Banks cooler is larger and flows more air then a 6.0 IC. The banks unit is all metal, with welded end tanks...

You might be able to get away with your BS posts over at FTE, but not here.

Hey, a know it all arrived guys.
You should all listen to him.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
IMO..the Banks isn't priced bad at all for a complete kit....just try getting the pipes made..$$$. Now if they would sell the pipes without the IC..thats the best bet.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Hey, a know it all arrived guys.
You should all listen to him.

Will... I would rather be known as a know it all that speaks the truth, then a no nothing that has threads deleted when they don't go his way...

Why don't you post something relevant rather then more drivel out of your mouth.

Latest posts

Members online