Batmowheel?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
A diverter valve is basically the exact opposite of a wastegaste. A wastegate is used to relieve drive pressure, while a diverter valve helps drive the turbo harder. Basically a flange with a flapper that closes off one volute on the exhaust side of your turbo. It redirects the exhaust gas to one part of the turbine wheel, driving it harder and helping it spool up. When you start off the flapper is closing off the one volute. Once you reach whatever boost level you have it set at, for example 5 psi, the flapper opens back up and gives exhaust to the whole turbine wheel like normal.

Gracias

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Depends on who you talk to. Some people say the batmowheel is just a marketing gimmick. I dont know.

I have heard that the original billet wheels from Bullseye were more or less just billet copies of the existing cast BW wheels. The batmowheel is a true redesigned wheel like what columbus, precision, and other companies are doing. I would say that is why they picked up power over there existing wheel but will it make more power than other companies engineered billet wheels?? Guess someone is gonna have to try two exact turbos other than the compressor wheel and see. That wont happen though since Precision uses the own turbine wheels and housings and Bullseye uses borg warner turbine wheels with there housings. It still wouldnt be an apples to apples comparision.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Depends on who you talk to. Some people say the batmowheel is just a marketing gimmick. I dont know.

I have heard that the original billet wheels from Bullseye were more or less just billet copies of the existing cast BW wheels. The batmowheel is a true redesigned wheel like what columbus, precision, and other companies are doing. I would say that is why they picked up power over there existing wheel but will it make more power than other companies engineered billet wheels?? Guess someone is gonna have to try two exact turbos other than the compressor wheel and see. That wont happen though since Precision uses the own turbine wheels and housings and Bullseye uses borg warner turbine wheels with there housings. It still wouldnt be an apples to apples comparision.

That was actually going to be my next point because places like engineered diesel have 78mm wheels that will outflow an s480 and spool faster, so it sounds to me like there wheels are better than a standard or billet say bullseye turbo wheel, but who really knows.

I would like to see that compareson as well, but like you said probably not going to happen

Kind

Reaction score
I've read some good things about the batmowheel. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform in my build.

However I couldn't get the batmo cover because they only make it for their large frame turbos. Bill told me they didn't feel the need to add the upgraded covers to the mid sized yet.

Last edited:

my79f

Reaction score
so they must get the added air flow from the less blades not so much the profile of the blade

Excuse my ignorant question, but would that help or hurt the spool up? Less weight = less to spin = faster spool up, on the other hand less surface area = longer spool time. Or is that where the angle of the blades comes into play? I would consider myself very green when it comes to how and why what works with what.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorant question, but would that help or hurt the spool up? Less weight = less to spin = faster spool up, on the other hand less surface area = longer spool time. Or is that where the angle of the blades comes into play? I would consider myself very green when it comes to how and why what works with what.

i honestly cant answer that, all i pretty much know about how many blades on a wheel pretty much means a higher pressure ratio

So a 8 blade turbo will usually have a better map at a higher pressure ratio, but sacrifice a little air flow

7 blade will have better air flow but not quiet the same pressure ratio

Thats a pretty general statement, but as far as spool up i honestly dont know, i would bet the weight of the wheel is more of a contributing factor

StockCar#10

Reaction score
I wish a 6.4 would do a non vgt twin setup cough Aaron
i want to try that with my build
no my 71mm will be a vgt this altitude pretty much requires a vgt for a fun to drive truck

I dont think a non vgt set up is totally the answer... if you gate between stages it doesnt really matter
what turbo did you have in mind and i wish we had more trucks with non vgts setups to gather info from :doh:
Stick around........ :poke:

hmmm... really?:confused:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
if i was going to run a non vgt it would be a 62/73 with a tight housing to make sure the thing will light fast around here

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
hmmm... really?:confused:

Yes really lol, I'm building my own compounds useing the WOP single kit as a starting point then adding a S480 to it as the high pressure turbo. There will be no vgt in my set up, although I live at sea level so it shouldn't be an issue. I hope it still tows well though but we'll see.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
We did make a non vgt compound setup and it did spool up fine and made damn good power on low RP, unfortunately that setup was pretty much destroyed

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
We did make a non vgt compound setup and it did spool up fine and made damn good power on low RP, unfortunately that setup was pretty much destroyed

Yeah I saw that truck, was an awesome runner for sure. Btw I meant to say S480 as a low pressure no high preassure lol.

What size piping did you guys use to feed the low pressure turbo and did you guys gate both stages?

StockCar#10

Reaction score
if i was going to run a non vgt it would be a 62/73 with a tight housing to make sure the thing will light fast around here
thanks d... were gonna have to sit down an brain storm with my setup :D

Yes really lol, I'm building my own compounds useing the WOP single kit as a starting point then adding a S480 to it as the high pressure turbo. There will be no vgt in my set up, although I live at sea level so it shouldn't be an issue. I hope it still tows well though but we'll see.
keep me posted on how it runs,tows,and races when its done?!?!

i was intrested in that setup... would you ever consider selling the piping and all other acessories for it?

Craig@MFI

Reaction score

this is just me but i dont think going with the wide open kit will work very well for the compounds you want to do the way the turbo sits your gonna play hell trying to get the hot pipe back around to the s480 and than your gonna have a long run so spool up will be down if i were you id buy the turbo from them and sit the turbo sideways that way the exhaust outlet points over to the passagner side fender well be alot easier and less piping

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
this is just me but i dont think going with the wide open kit will work very well for the compounds you want to do the way the turbo sits your gonna play hell trying to get the hot pipe back around to the s480 and than your gonna have a long run so spool up will be down if i were you id buy the turbo from them and sit the turbo sideways that way the exhaust outlet points over to the passagner side fender well be alot easier and less piping

Yeah I thought about that, it seems to work well for the duramaxs though. I can play with it more once I get my hands on every thing. I'm just running the single at first and then me and some friends will start fabbing some stuff up for the S480.

Matt

Reaction score
I think Craig shipped the s480, but I am not totally positive. If he doesn't chime in, I will shoot him a text.

Dzchey21

Reaction score

I can respect that, you for sure will need an oil filler delete like what you guys offer, and i am pretty sure one of them exhaust mandrel bent exhaust doughnuts will be needed to make the bend in the back, i was originally going to leave my single turbo in the valley and go that route, i think it can be done, hot pipe will be the worst part, but the cold pipe between turbos would be easier.

Im going with the trubo mounted like the stockers, then remote mount the low pressure on the right side, the hop pipe is going to be cake, the cold pipe is going to kinda suck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.