Batt light coming on

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Pull the loom, etc off your old harness and try to ID a problem. If there is a short, you should be able to find it ohming the harness while wiggling it around.

BE AWARE the typical loom they sell at autoparts is not up to the task under the hood. I found some puddles of what used to bee loom in the valley of my old engine... Also, the 'cloth'-type electrical tape seems to do better in that environment than the shiny stuff.

You are welcome to send the harness back, no worries. I will find someone who can use it eventually!

Not charging AT ALL? What voltages do you see with engine on/off?

DocBar

Reaction score
Pull the loom, etc off your old harness and try to ID a problem. If there is a short, you should be able to find it ohming the harness while wiggling it around.

BE AWARE the typical loom they sell at autoparts is not up to the task under the hood. I found some puddles of what used to bee loom in the valley of my old engine... Also, the 'cloth'-type electrical tape seems to do better in that environment than the shiny stuff.

You are welcome to send the harness back, no worries. I will find someone who can use it eventually!

Not charging AT ALL? What voltages do you see with engine on/off?
I pulled the alt. wires out of my old harness, used a little old-fashioned redneck engineering and now it's charging.
I still don't have water temp. but I'm not overly worried about that for now.

Jeremy

Reaction score
IIRC
99-01 used pin #1, in the main engine harness for the alt charge wire. The 02-03's had a seperate wire that ran to the passenger battery, I think it was with the GP relay wire(the big one). Its been awhile since I've looked at the diagram though

DocBar

Reaction score
IIRC
99-01 used pin #1, in the main engine harness for the alt charge wire. The 02-03's had a seperate wire that ran to the passenger battery, I think it was with the GP relay wire(the big one). Its been awhile since I've looked at the diagram though
The '02-'03 harness has one small wire w/fusible link going to the pass batt w/ the big wire and another wire going to the 2nd pin on the top of the plug. That's how mine is now wired. When I get the time, I will do a more professional job of routing and connecting the wires, but they're doing OK for now.

DocBar

Reaction score
Well, the truck is still running like crapola. I took it to Scheid's in Terre Haute this morning to get it looked at. I threw a 1298, 0284 and several other codes. Swapped IDM's with one from Swamps with the same results. I bought an engine harness for an '02 F350 7.3. They should be the same. I'll get that put in and see what happens.
I was getting the 1298(IDM failure) and 0284(#8 cylinder on contribution test)for the 1st time. 2 other shops and 1 friend got #5 on cont. test and 1316(?)IDM inj ckt trbl. Could this be a difference in scan tools?
The truck started acting goofy today. It started jumping around a decent bit at idle(bog down to 500rpm and jump up to almost 1k), got a real weird sound, like someone threw a blanket over the engiine, when leaving a red light and it just up and died on me when I was leaving a parking space. CPS? Any ideas? I've been to several shops and can't seem to get this issue diagnosed.

Latest posts

Members online