battery drain and no oil pressure

biltfordtufftx

Reaction score
99.5 powerstroke, replaced batts about two weeks ago
Been having some mornings batts are totally dead, some mornings starts right up

Got alt tested 4 times, passed each test(2 were bench tests)
They replaced it free anyway.
Had batts tested, they passed as well

Been plugging truck in at night also
Replaced negative cable on driver side, same issues
Replaced terminal on neg pass side, same issues

I could jumo it off, and it would drain within an hour or so to where domes wont even come on with the door open.

Multimeter shows batts draining at about a tenth of a volt every couple of seconds.

Tested aih relay and gpr, both are good.
Could jump it off and start until the last couple of days, it showed no oil pressure while cranking. Starter works great, batts turn it good too

A little....or a lot confused as to what would be draining it so fast...positive connects appear to be good, and then there is the no oil pressure?? Related??
Oil level is ok, not full but has started and run on less.

Any ideas?
Odo shows 267k, late 99 single alt 4x4
Also pulled the amp wire , no change

Thanks

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
If the truck runs it has some sort of oil pressure. If the gauge doesn't work it could just be the pressure switch. As for the drain I would disconnect one battery and put a clamp on amp meter on the other battery. Then start pulling fuses one at a time to find the draw.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
have you ever had water enter the cab via a windshield or anything? I worked on a truck that had a leaking roof and windshield from rot. thing was an electrical nightmare, ended up being a bad GEM box/module what ever that is under the dash. it leaks from the windshield down the pillar and perfectly on top of this unit.

biltfordtufftx

Reaction score
If the truck runs it has some sort of oil pressure. If the gauge doesn't work it could just be the pressure switch. As for the drain I would disconnect one battery and put a clamp on amp meter on the other battery. Then start pulling fuses one at a time to find the draw.

Thanks, the truck did run.....by jumping it off a couple of days ago
The last couple of days it won't start.
It will still turn over great while getting jumped off but now the oil pressure gauge lays flat

Dont have an amp clamp...not very bright when it comes to electricity in these things

Thanks

biltfordtufftx

Reaction score
have you ever had water enter the cab via a windshield or anything? I worked on a truck that had a leaking roof and windshield from rot. thing was an electrical nightmare, ended up being a bad GEM box/module what ever that is under the dash. it leaks from the windshield down the pillar and perfectly on top of this unit.

Not that I know of....not the original owner, but have had it for 9 years

Thanks

biltfordtufftx

Reaction score
Just rigged up a test, not sure if it would show anything or not
Hooked up alligator clips to the multimeter and to pos and neg terminals, and unplugged fuses and relays one a time watching it keep draining. Not one fuse kept the batts from draining

Again, not sure if that would work or not.

Thanks

Southmike

Reaction score
Just rigged up a test, not sure if it would show anything or not
Hooked up alligator clips to the multimeter and to pos and neg terminals, and unplugged fuses and relays one a time watching it keep draining. Not one fuse kept the batts from draining

Again, not sure if that would work or not.

Thanks

put an multi meter with an amp clamp on the cable..
but check all the fuses ..under hood , under dash .
one circuit is draining the battery

biltfordtufftx

Reaction score
Gpr is intermittent, sometimes will pull with key out, sometimes won't.
The wts light is also intermittent....sometimes comes on, sometimes not

Don't have an amp clamp, but tried pulling fuses with the multimeter hooked up, and nothing stooped the draw.

Any other ideas before I get it towed to the shop?
Thanks

alradco

Reaction score
My light was staying on inside the glove box. Probably a long shot but figured I'd mention it.

Latest posts

Members online