Battery replacement

Lugger007

Reaction score
Pretty sure my batteries died tonight. What is everyone using to replace their stock battery? I need to replace these quick as I need the truck to tow this week. I'm looking for something with a high cca for cold starts. Was told to look into gel over acid batteries.
What's everyone using or recommend? I'm replacing them in pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Always have good luck with Optima batteries. I've run them in every vehicle I've owned be it race or street and never had one fail. Going on 9 years in the expy, 6 on the Mach 1, and just got 2 red tops for the truck instead of waiting for the originals to $hit the bed.

Keith

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I love optimas. I have a few that are ten years old and still going strong. I put red tops in my 08 four years ago and still going strong. For a normal priced battery I use a lot of Duralast gold from autozone. The warranty is hard to beat even though I have never had to use it.

Lugger007

Reaction score
I was thinking optima, but since I made the post I did more searching and found more negative threads on Optimas then positive so I'm not sure on them. Plus their about $240 each compared to $160 ish each

Last edited:

Lugger007

Reaction score
Die hard platinum gets my vote

I've had great luck with die hard in the past but I did a search on sears site and the platinum did not come up fitting our trucks. Guess I'll have to go there and ask

torque beast

Reaction score
Always have good luck with Optima batteries. I've run them in every vehicle I've owned be it race or street and never had one fail. Going on 9 years in the expy, 6 on the Mach 1, and just got 2 red tops for the truck instead of waiting for the originals to $hit the bed.

Keith

Same here. They are built to handled the vibration and shock better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lugger007

Reaction score
Same here. They are built to handled the vibration and shock better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I did buy optima, could I install a red start (800 cca) on the starter battery and yellow top (750 cca deep cycle) on the secondary?

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I wouldn't mix battery sizes, if you prefer the yellow tops, just get 2 of them. We even run the optima red tops in the car trailer.

Keith

mustube

Reaction score
When Optima moved production to mexico, quality went to **** and warranty rates went up. The old ones were really good, the new ones I wouldn't waste money on. Die hard platinum are the same as the odyssey batteries, that's what I would go with instead of optimas.

Lugger007

Reaction score
same here.. p2's 65 series.. id stay away from optimas.. more bad luck than good luck with them in the past few years... 10yrs ago id say yes definitely.. but as of late, no...

live life full throttle

I just called sears as couldn't find platinums on line. Sales guy said platinums are discontinued due to high failure rate. Diehard gold or agm would be next option

JSJ4613

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I was thinking optima, but since I made the post I did more searching and found more negative threads on Optimas then positive so I'm not sure on them. Plus their about $240 each compared to $160 ish each

Been there, done that, with the Optimas,such a OVERRATED battery

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I just called sears as couldn't find platinums on line. Sales guy said platinums are discontinued due to high failure rate. Diehard gold or agm would be next option

wtf.. no chit? guess i need to look into the ones on my dually. maybe they are part of the reason i haveva severe voltage drop issue after about a half hour of run time after its up to operating temp.. i know my starter cranks slower.. could be the combination of the two....

live life full throttle

Lugger007

Reaction score
I went to sears tonight. Bought two die hard gold batteries. Installed them. And now the wrench light is on on the display. Anyone have this issue before????

torque beast

Reaction score
This is the first I have heard of optima having issues. Hopefully mine will last. What are the issues with them?

dsberman94

Reaction score
First I've heard of the Sears diehard platinums having issues. Last I knew they were relabeled agm mil spec Odyssey batteries.

Latest posts

Members online