Been awile...

907DAVE

Reaction score
Buuuut, I am back at it trying to get my setup dialed in. I had it sounding pretty decent last year but have since lost all memory in the processor and HU. I started to play around with it again tonight but quickly realized I need some advice.

Can anyone recommend some reading info on this type of stuff, something geared towards setting up an active system? I get to messing with the filters and slopes and before I know it I am upside down.

Thanks!

jdc753

Reaction score
I wish I knew of some actual write ups for ya Dave but I don't remember ever coming across any. Its really just a very slow process of minor tweaks and lots of critical listening. Mine was tuned by a buddy of mine who is now in Cali who had a golden ear and could really nail it.

For him he had a single CD of sample tracks he was very familiar with how they should sound. That to me is the key, is listening to the same tracks each one for a certain aspect of the system.

Maybe this stuff here will help, http://www.teamaudionutz.com/tutorials

I haven't read all the articles there but I know the head guy at that site is one of the top guys in the SQ world for tuning. He has won many competitions and actually produces mastered cd's with listening notes, that are supposedly like the holy grail of the car audio world. He mentored my buddy who did my tuning, and my buddy had nothing but great things to say about him.

I think ballpark filter/slope to get you started will probably be around 4k @24db on the tweeters, 80 @6db to 3.2k at 12db on the mids, and 63 @6db on the sub. The idea with the filters is to keep pushing them lower and lower till you start getting bad results, so starting from the top with the tweeters get them to play as low as you can while being happy with output, but 4k should be close, maybe 3k range will work, then get the mids roughed in as low as they will go 80 or maybe 63 (if the doors are built) then let the sub fill in the rest. Once you get that established, tweak the slope on the tweeters 1 notch, until you're happy, then again with the mid slopes. It's all about small consistant changes, never change 2 things and then sit and listen, always 1 then listen and digest. I think we spent about 4 hours tuning my truck and it is a pretty limited active setup.

Hope this helps ya out Dave and glad to hear you are back at it, definitely gotta write down all the settings once you are done, I learned that lesson a couple times the hard way :doh:

907DAVE

Reaction score
Thanks Josh! I am going to have to look around that site, but already found some great info there.

I am going to run out and give your suggestions at try, if I had a good baseline setting to work from this will be much easier.

Latest posts

Members online