Belt Squeak, Worse When it's Raining

Pikesnogle

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

Got a little squeak. I checked the sticky's and there was no solution at this time. So I figured I throw it out and see what you guys can come up with.

I am getting a squeaking noise at idle and all the way up to about 1250rpm while accelerating then it stops. It sounds like it's coming from the belt tensioner but I popped the belt free and the pulley turns without issue or resistance.

I have a good buddy that's a mechanic and he thinks I that when I bought the truck (two weeks ago) before they handed it over to me they cleaned the engine and maybe used a pressure washer or some sort of degreaser to clean up the engine bay and that it could have created a problem. Of course when I showed him the truck it wouldn't make the noise. So without him hearing it, there's nothing can do.

It gets worse when it's raining but it's never really terrible, just annoying. I bought the truck a couple of weeks ago and I want the damn thing to work properly and I don't want to hear this noise anymore.

So what do you think? Could it be a bearing of some sort or some **** on the pulleys somewhere, or just a general slip of the belt? What can I do to fix it myself?

Thanks in advanced.
-Alex

TyCorr

Reaction score
Clean the belt. If there's something on it as the cause that would fix it. If that doesn't work lay a brick on the accelerator pedal and stick your head under the hood and SEE what's causing it. Could be a PS pump pulley.

Pikesnogle

Reaction score
Clean the belt. If there's something on it as the cause that would fix it. If that doesn't work lay a brick on the accelerator pedal and stick your head under the hood and SEE what's causing it. Could be a PS pump pulley.

It squeaks at idle, so I am able to listen to it while it's happening. Just having a hard time pinpointing it because it's kind of faint and I am a carpenter, not a mechanic, haha.

I will take the belt off and clean it though, planned on doing that.

Mine squeaked when my vacuum pump went bad, but just spray some belt dressing on it and see if the belt is slipping

Good to know if cleaning the belt doesn't fix, thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.