Berman's 7.3 build

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
yea the whole laying in metal shavings thing is gonna be fun. always is. the bad part is i want to do the passenger manifold as well then the downpipe.

ive known ive needed better custom tunes for a while but i just havent gotten around to ordering them. thought id have single shots sooner so i waited. didn't happen and won't happen till i get the forged rod block going. just been running the PHP generics since july. i must have had the egts up around 1500-1700 before and never known it.

I worry about that a little, but then I'm worried about blowing a hg, so I don't get into it too hard, and when I do, it's not for long.

I only have the EGT probe that's stand alone. I'll probably give it to a friend if he gets a 6.0 and get the EAS system. I'd like to put a EGT probe in both manis, and monitor fuel pressure. Need to update the CTS as well. #themacstruggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
I worry about that a little, but then I'm worried about blowing a hg, so I don't get into it too hard, and when I do, it's not for long.

I only have the EGT probe that's stand alone. I'll probably give it to a friend if he gets a 6.0 and get the EAS system. I'd like to put a EGT probe in both manis, and monitor fuel pressure. Need to update the CTS as well. #themacstruggle

so do your headstuds now before the gaskets do go bad. you can do the studs one at a time and not have to remove the heads.

dsberman94

Reaction score
also the standalone egt and the eas egt both go into the manifold the same way using the same little screw in adaptor thing. ive had an egt in there for a while but it was not for the insight but for something else from edge. i just removed that one and screwed the new eas one into that little thing. so even if you want to put your in and give him that one when you get a new one it would still work without having to redrill or retap. just give him the new screw in piece when you get the new probe.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Yea, that's the plan, install it now, then swap them out later.

I'm gonna do studs, gaskets, EGR delete, oil cooler and all the little upgrades in May. Probably gonna take out a student loan.

swinky

Reaction score
so do your headstuds now before the gaskets do go bad. you can do the studs one at a time and not have to remove the heads.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. His heads are out of spec right now I almost guarantee it. I'm not trying to be a dick at all but 6.0 is a whole nother world when it comes to heads. Pull the heads do new valve seats, magnuflux etc, valve guides.....

"There's always enough time to do it twice but there's never enough time to do it right the first time" comes to mind.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. His heads are out of spec right now I almost guarantee it. I'm not trying to be a dick at all but 6.0 is a whole nother world when it comes to heads. Pull the heads do new valve seats, magnuflux etc, valve guides.....

"There's always enough time to do it twice but there's never enough time to do it right the first time" comes to mind.

waaaiitt a minute. thats the 6.4 you can do that on with the one at a time thing. dam 6.0's. they sound so good but have so many problems.

swinky

Reaction score
6.4 guys have had better luck. Some guys do it on 6.0s but I'd never recommend cutting that corner. Maybe if you did the work yourself and studded it just see how long it lasted (maybe forever maybe 100 miles) it would be cool. But I'd plan on pulling the heads regardless.

If my 03 didn't sound like sex I would've sold it a long time ago.

bruce

Reaction score
Heads off, sent to the machine shop, milled flat, New gaskets then arps. 7.3 can be done one at a time.

dsberman94

Reaction score
still debating for my build on the 7.3. ARP's or H11. im leaning toward ARP because the H11's have to be hot retorqued which some people do many times and i really don't feel like doing that.

dsberman94

Reaction score
6.4 guys have had better luck. Some guys do it on 6.0s but I'd never recommend cutting that corner. Maybe if you did the work yourself and studded it just see how long it lasted (maybe forever maybe 100 miles) it would be cool. But I'd plan on pulling the heads regardless.

If my 03 didn't sound like sex I would've sold it a long time ago.

the sound is why im debating 6.4 turbos on this build. i love the sound that the other guy got with the 6.4 turbos on the 7.3.

bruce

Reaction score
still debating for my build on the 7.3. ARP's or H11. im leaning toward ARP because the H11's have to be hot retorqued which some people do many times and i really don't feel like doing that.

arp's are more than adequate. h11's will pull the threads out before they break

dsberman94

Reaction score
6.0 swap

funny you say that. guy i know is currently being paid to remove a 6.0 from an 06 and put in a 7.3. the motor comes out, the truck gets completely torn apart and the wiring all comes out. all 7.3 wiring goes in and a 7.3 and 4r100 is getting put in the truck. the guy who is paying for it is tired of spending $5000 on this truck every year for the past 3 years to have it bulletproofed over and over again. issue is that it should only have to be bulletproofed one time. idk who did the bulletproof the first time and i don't know why the guy took the truck back to that guy 2 more times. but i saw the process tonight on it. the motor and trans are out and the interior is mostly out of the cab so all the wiring can be replaced. personally i think the guy paying for this to be done is a complete moron. but i will not be swapping a 6.0 into my truck no matter how bad i want one. too many problems.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
You know 6.0s sound better…and you want to…
Especially if you can get a 6.0 for cheap, studded, deleted, all the updates and either a barder, non VGT or modded 03 turbo…, 175cc sticks and RR,drop it in, pcs(that is the correct program, right?) sell the 7.3 and you're set.

And yea, Jared is right, plan is to get it studded and heads done in May. As much as I want to do injectors, I don't want to do head gaskets again.

swinky

Reaction score
A lot of people ditch the 6.0s for simplicity. And well they're just ignorant lol but at the end of the day a 7.3 does exactly what it was designed to do, a 6.0 on the other hand......that's a different story.

swinky

Reaction score
I'd build a reliable 500-550hp 7.3 if I was you. Having a good running dinosaur is cool schit.

dsberman94

Reaction score
maybe once im done with the 7.3 build ill trade it for something or sell it and buy a 2015. im liking the stock numbers on the 2015 diesels. i know i want a 6.0 but the old man had one and sold it. it was paid for dammit. stupid stupid stupid. had he kept that i would have gotten a loan and bought it from him but no. 500-550 hp 7.3 is the goal. sleeper too. i mean hell i don't even have a noticeable exhaust. the nice part is that with some good low smoke tuning i would still make it in workstock for pulling if i really wanted to.:naughty::naughty:

Last edited:

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I'd build a reliable 500-550hp 7.3 if I was you. Having a good running dinosaur is cool schit.

:slap: You know it's more impressive to have a good running 6.0, all the Cummings boys would literally go back to their momma crying if they got walked by a 6.0 that didn't run straight to the mechanic after the race.

dsberman94

Reaction score
:slap: You know it's more impressive to have a good running 6.0, all the Cummings boys would literally go back to their momma crying if they got walked by a 6.0 that didn't run straight to the mechanic after the race.

and what do ya think they'd do when their azz got whooped by a 7.3? 7.3 is the second most rudimentary motor other than the 12v. its not exactly a powerhouse. i wanna know what the cummins idiot did last night after we messed with him in a toyota avalon and he couldn't keep up with us. blowin smoke everywhere and getting beat by a sedan. yea.

Latest posts

Members online