Best engine/transmission setup for a daily driven/towing 7.3

jcarrick

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this topic has been covered over and over but I can't seem to find (with lots of searching) the answer to my question based on the mods we are thinking of doing so please be patient with me 😎

My buddy has an 01 7.3 that is his daily driver that he uses to tow a toy hauler with on occasion. He wants more power out of it, especially for towing, but isn't looking for anything crazy. The truck currently has:
4" exhaust and intake
Some old school banks chip
Leveling kit on 35" AT2's

We aren't looking for a specific hp number and don't want to go to the point where it will require head studs. I am currently looking into these mods:
Hydra tuner
Pillar gauges (boost, egt, trans temp)
Built automatic tranny
6.0 oil cooler
Injectors(?)
Turbo or whisked wheel(?)

I hope that you guys can point us in the right direction with this and we can get a solid list of upgrades that will work well together! Do you think bigger injectors and turbo are necessary?

Sorry for the newb question and I really appreciate the help!
-Jon

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Van turbo with ww2 or 38r

Ac injectors or small hybrids

I wouldnt build the trans but would put in a triple disc billet converter and a modded vb. 6.0 trans cooler as well.

Turbo and in are needed if he wants more than just a tuned truck. Better tuning will make a big difference from where he is now though.

You can always go in stages. Get hydra and gauges now. If not satisfied, do trans mods then throw in and turbo at it.

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
My setup pulls very nice. Low EGT's and fun to drive.

PIS 175/80's and a 38R.

I decided to do studs and springs for piece of mind. Not necessary at this level though.

bruce

Reaction score
If I was buildin a a strictly tow rig i'd go 160/30 and a 38r, if you drive it daily like 90% and tow 10% then I'd do like a 238/80 with a 38r, dorman up pipes, t-500 and a regulated return, studs, springs, pushrods

Jomax

Reaction score
Van turbo with ww2 or 38r

Ac injectors or small hybrids

I wouldnt build the trans but would put in a triple disc billet converter and a modded vb. 6.0 trans cooler as well.

Turbo and in are needed if he wants more than just a tuned truck. Better tuning will make a big difference from where he is now though.

You can always go in stages. Get hydra and gauges now. If not satisfied, do trans mods then throw in and turbo at it.

I would build the trans. Why wonder if the trans will make it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Having run both...38r and 175/80's and BASB and 175/80's...BASB wins hands down and it isn't even close. Empty and towing. And I tow 10k lbs three days a week.

Reaction score
Having run both...38r and 175/80's and BASB and 175/80's...BASB wins hands down and it isn't even close. Empty and towing. And I tow 10k lbs three days a week.
Agreed, I've got one of each turbo, but on separate trucks, but everything about the BASB is better, my 96 in stock tune would still out tow the 02 in a tow tune

bruce

Reaction score
Agreed, I've got one of each turbo, but on separate trucks, but everything about the BASB is better, my 96 in stock tune would still out tow the 02 in a tow tune

Basb is also 3000 bones. 38r and Dorman bellowed up pipes is like 1600. So I could get injectors and turbo for the price of your turbo. It might be a dandy turbo but it ain't worth twice what a 38r is. And if your 96 will out do the 02 in a tow tune then you need to look at the tuner, not the turbo.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Basb is also 3000 bones. 38r and Dorman bellowed up pipes is like 1600. So I could get injectors and turbo for the price of your turbo. It might be a dandy turbo but it ain't worth twice what a 38r is. And if your 96 will out do the 02 in a tow tune then you need to look at the tuner, not the turbo.

Having run both on the same truck with the same tunes and supporting mods, I'd pay twice what the 38r and up pipes cost and wouldn't think twice about it. The power increase is night and day but the drop in egts while towing absolutely makes it worth it. And I'm not talking a little. I pulled an 8 mile 6% grade pulling my 10k lb trailer this weekend. With the 38r my egts would hit 1400 degrees in no time in overdrive while trying to stay around 65-70 mph. Would have to shift out of overdrive to cool it down. With the BASB this weekend I maintained 75 mph in overdrive the entire pull and egts NEVER went over 1050 degrees. The BASB has no weakness on a daily driver/tow rig.

TyCorr

Reaction score
A 175/hundo in a stock tune should tow better than a sd in a "tow" tune. A sd tow tune is about 250hp...that "stock" tune should make 350hp on the modded truck...pretty unfair comparo...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Having run both on the same truck with the same tunes and supporting mods, I'd pay twice what the 38r and up pipes cost and wouldn't think twice about it. The power increase is night and day but the drop in egts while towing absolutely makes it worth it. And I'm not talking a little. I pulled an 8 mile 6% grade pulling my 10k lb trailer this weekend. With the 38r my egts would hit 1400 degrees in no time in overdrive while trying to stay around 65-70 mph. Would have to shift out of overdrive to cool it down. With the BASB this weekend I maintained 75 mph in overdrive the entire pull and egts NEVER went over 1050 degrees. The BASB has no weakness on a daily driver/tow rig.

Your chit was ***ked up then...if you didnt have serious leakage then there was a serious issue mechanically. This is not typical of a functioning stock charger much less one moving more air.

My lifted truck, on 37s, with 175/80s was 1100ish flat to the floor towing.

TyCorr

Reaction score

I looked in his sig and the trucks are not like modded. One has enough fuel for 500 one for 300.

My 38r was good on a stock truck. But its really been better with larger injectors. I xant say that a basb would fare as well. It would be overrun with a 238/80...

Reaction score
I should have been more specific, I meant it spools slightly faster there for runs cooler, and that stays true to any tune vs tune. I was talking strictly turbo aspects, and yes, the injectors do make it an unfair advantage. As far as power, the 02 is obviously gonna pull harder up top in a tow tune vs the 96 in stock due to the fuel the tune calls for...

As for the BASB being overrun with 238/80 and not doing well compared to the 38r, not sure howd you come to that conclusion, the 38r I would think would have much higher drive pressure given the smaller turbine housing

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Your chit was ***ked up then...if you didnt have serious leakage then there was a serious issue mechanically. This is not typical of a functioning stock charger much less one moving more air.

My lifted truck, on 37s, with 175/80s was 1100ish flat to the floor towing.

I can assure you there was nothing wrong with my truck when I was running my 38r. It towed well all the time but always got hot on steep climbs when towing. Compressor side was pressure tested and had IH up pipes on the exhaust side with no leaks on either. The 38r is hands down the best stock location turbo out there and it's not close. But the BASB is better in every way based on REAL back to back usage. It just flat out moves more air. I have more power, less smoke, runs cooler, and actually getting better mileage. And again, everything is the same but the turbo.

To the OP, best DD/tow rig while keeping stock location turbo = 38r and 175/80's. Best DD/tow rig with smallish injectors = BASB and 175/80's. Again my option based on the fact that I have run BOTH on the same truck running the same parts and tuning...only change was the turbo.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I should have been more specific, I meant it spools slightly faster there for runs cooler, and that stays true to any tune vs tune. I was talking strictly turbo aspects, and yes, the injectors do make it an unfair advantage. As far as power, the 02 is obviously gonna pull harder up top in a tow tune vs the 96 in stock due to the fuel the tune calls for...

As for the BASB being overrun with 238/80 and not doing well compared to the 38r, not sure howd you come to that conclusion, the 38r I would think would have much higher drive pressure given the smaller turbine housing

That and based on what I've read, the 38r is a 850 cfm turbo while the BASB is rated at 1300 cfm.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.