Best F Superduty injector/ turbo combination.

Constructionworker

Reaction score
I have a 96 superduty 7.3 with a 12' utility bed manual transmission. I'm wondering if someone on here has experience with a good combination that won't smoke and produce decent power. I have talked to a couple different vendors and some want to sell me more stuff and others say don't waste your money. I will be buying injectors soon. Should I buy stock or stage 1? Is the WW2 an improvement? With the price of upgrading the turbo I'm leaning towards running a stock turbo. So if anyone can offer helpful advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

ncollins64

Reaction score
Stage 1s and a d66. Maybe an intercooler if you can swing it and a custom ts chip or hydra. It would make for an awesome tow rig but yet still be reliable. I see this set up at work every day.

Constructionworker

Reaction score
Stage 1s and a d66. Maybe an intercooler if you can swing it and a custom ts chip or hydra. It would make for an awesome tow rig but yet still be reliable. I see this set up at work every day.

I've heard this before but my current tuner claims that the d66 is worse than stock. I have no problem with a intercooler for a future upgrade, just don't want to have to right now.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Well I guess it's all based on the tuner honestly. I've heard and talked to several customers running this set up and is very pleased. Not all d66s are the same either. Just my 2 cents of course. My temps is around 600 running 2k on the highway with this set up minus the ic.

Constructionworker

Reaction score
Well I guess it's all based on the tuner honestly. I've heard and talked to several customers running this set up and is very pleased. Not all d66s are the same either. Just my 2 cents of course. My temps is around 600 running 2k on the highway with this set up minus the ic.

Nice. Can you PM me your tuner? Not gonna jump in with both feet yet but definitely gonna call. I just want to do the right set up the first time. Thanks or you can post your tuner right here. Won't bother me

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
The KC38R drop in is due for release any second now. They told me they are waiting on the intake tubes to release the units to market.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have a 96 superduty 7.3 with a 12' utility bed manual transmission. I'm wondering if someone on here has experience with a good combination that won't smoke and produce decent power. I have talked to a couple different vendors and some want to sell me more stuff and others say don't waste your money. I will be buying injectors soon. Should I buy stock or stage 1? Is the WW2 an improvement? With the price of upgrading the turbo I'm leaning towards running a stock turbo. So if anyone can offer helpful advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Since your truck is a manual and a work truck, stick (no pun intented) with 160/30s with the correct tunes.

Look for my thread in the 7.3 SD section about some testing I did on the "66" style turbos. Also search for "Jeremiahmercier" thread. Jeremiah's truck is a manual. I don't recommend a "66" style turbo.

If you dead set on changing turbos, go with a T4 conversion. The new SXE 300 Series turbos by Borg Warner are getting great reviews. I would recommend a 363 or 364.5 SXE turbo. The unfortunate part of a T4 conversion, you need to be intercooled and have E-Fuel but are good things to have anyway.

Hopefully you have gauges.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Constructionworker

Reaction score
It's not that I want to upgrade my turbo, actually looking for real world experience with the stock turbo and the possibility of stage 1 injectors in a manual trans big heavy tow rig. I want low heat and very little to none smoke.

old man dave

Reaction score
Maybe consider using a 1.0 exhaust housing for faster spoolup, meaning more low-midrange response over the stock 1.15 housing. For $150, not a bad mod.

old man dave

Reaction score
Maybe consider using a 1.0 exhaust housing for faster spoolup, meaning more low-midrange response over the stock 1.15 housing. For $150, not a bad mod.

I used it for a total gross load of 17,500#.

97White'nSilver

Reaction score
I've got the 1.0 housing with a WW2 and if you tow heavy frequently I wouldn't change housings. I towed around 11k through montana with a lot of big hills and 4000+ ft altitude and I was constantly having to slow down due to egts with other mods in sig but on 285/75/16s and no lift. To keep 60ish I was locked in third at 3k rpms and egts were still 1100 or so. I didn't notice nearly the egt problems before the housing change. I was grossing around 19k depending on what a 7.3 rclb weighs, guessing 7k. Awesome mod for light towing and dd, I love mine but I usually pull a 2 horse trailer and dd it.

Last edited:

golfer

Reaction score
Set of Baby's and a chip...done

wouldn't dick around with any turbine housing swap with injectors and a tune..you'll have enough fuel to spool much more quickly than stock..possibly add a wicked wheel 2 and call it a day.

$1400-$1600 and double the rwhp of the truck (aside from the clutch)

HPOP, fuel system, turbo would all be fine with the possible exception of if you're in a hot/race tune annddddd you have your foot stuffed through the carpet

Strokersace

Reaction score
Set of Baby's and a chip...done

wouldn't dick around with any turbine housing swap with injectors and a tune..you'll have enough fuel to spool much more quickly than stock..possibly add a wicked wheel 2 and call it a day.

$1400-$1600 and double the rwhp of the truck (aside from the clutch)

HPOP, fuel system, turbo would all be fine with the possible exception of if you're in a hot/race tune annddddd you have your foot stuffed through the carpet
Agree 100%. Best, most consistent, most reliable setup I for towing was stage 1s, stock fuel, stock turbo, stock oil, aftermarket intercooler, and BTS trans.

Matter of fact, since the truck is going to be a dedicated farm/ranch/work truck, I'm going back to that setup - but with fuel system and modified stock oil.

Latest posts

Members online