best mcc tow tune?

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Well its tow season so I'm looking for the best mcc towing and tuning. I want one that works with tow/haul as I tow 13-14,000 lbs and like having engine braking.

The default h&s tune will cause the truck to hit 4,000 rpm with engine braking, so then I have to turn tow haul off then back on. I switched to easy when towing (I have not had a big hill to see if it still hits 4g rpm). easy is nice to tow, but I don't like it for non towing.

I sent gearhead an email asking if there tow haul still functions as ive heard it locks out over drive if used (I don't want that, I want tow/haul to function as intended). I did not get a response from gearhead, hence my question.

I also have gearhead on my 6.0l but I honestly prefer tsd, but they don't really offer emailed 6.4 tunes. If they did I would use them solely based upon my experience with my 6.0l tunes and response to any concerns and questions I have.

So bottom line, looking for a good tow tune for mcc, that still allows usage of tow haul with out revving the **** out of my truck.
thanks.

madman1234509

Reaction score
So, you're looking for tow haul to act as an engine break? I don't think that's how tow haul has ever worked like that on these trucks, it's always just kept rpm up in the gears and locked out od

sonic blue l

Reaction score
no it still shifts to 5, holds gears longer, increases line pressure. when on decal the harder you press the brake pedal (there is an actual brake pressure transducer as well as just a pressure switch and boo switch) there will be engine braking. the 6.0l had it way back in 03, the first was very aggressive, ford softened it so people would not hit the ditch in wet weather. There was just no fancy name of exhaust brake that dodge and gm had to label for marketing (now ford). All the switch means is aggressive tow/haul (if compared to the early 03 6l on original calibration, just like the original 6l had pilot injection)

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Using Gearhead files right now on my trailers, work good but could use a revision or two from them to get it a little better at highway speeds in Tow/Haul. Interested to see what others say as well.

sonic where are you in AB?

sonic blue l

Reaction score
alberta, about an hour from Edmonton. You?
I went to bc last summer up and down the coke. it pulled great, just would over rev on steep down grades. Then truck would not shift back up right away. So i'd have to turn tow/haul off then back on after it shifted up.

I've read on the mcc portion that someone was complaining that their truck would rev to 4,000 on acceleration with tow/haul on h&s default tune. I never put my truck to wot when in tow/haul so im not sure if it would do that as well. I never did read a conclusion as he was trying to get mcc to change the shift points, but as far as I read it never worked.

I think the over rev issue will only occur during aggressive engine braking, as I never had a problem while in alberta.

ckrueg

Reaction score
alberta, about an hour from Edmonton. You?
I went to bc last summer up and down the coke. it pulled great, just would over rev on steep down grades. Then truck would not shift back up right away. So i'd have to turn tow/haul off then back on after it shifted up.

I've read on the mcc portion that someone was complaining that their truck would rev to 4,000 on acceleration with tow/haul on h&s default tune. I never put my truck to wot when in tow/haul so im not sure if it would do that as well. I never did read a conclusion as he was trying to get mcc to change the shift points, but as far as I read it never worked.

I think the over rev issue will only occur during aggressive engine braking, as I never had a problem while in alberta.
That was me, never found a solution other than not going wot in tow haul. I've never tested to see if it over revs when slowing down. Even when I changed the shift points in mcc it still revved to 4k in 4th gear. Also h&s never responded to emails.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
My GH files are definitely better than the stock H&S files, when I asked about trans files differences from GH I got this;

"I would start with the T-Reg file. All files are going to be the same under heavy throttle. At part throttle the Reg file will be closest to stock, the Eco file will try to lock the converter and shift 200 rpm's sooner, the Hybrid file is going to try and keep the rpm's up to stay on top of the charger (mostly for single non vgt setups)."

So I'm on the Reg file right now and been towing on it with good results in town, just did a highway trip to Red Deer with the trailer and it was nice, I still end up turning off tow/haul on the highway at speed so I need them to get it to lock up 5th a little sooner I think. But rolling up to a hill or if I needed to pass, hit Tow/Haul, downshift once, hit the skinny and off she goes, whenever I'm settled back in my new spot I just hit Tow/Haul again and let cruise take back over.

I'm usually by myself so can't really do a video of it, maybe I'll try and bring someone next time and get a quickie. I'm in Calgary, go to Edmonton area sometimes but nothing soon that I have planned.

Last edited:

sonic blue l

Reaction score
That was me, never found a solution other than not going wot in tow haul. I've never tested to see if it over revs when slowing down. Even when I changed the shift points in mcc it still revved to 4k in 4th gear. Also h&s never responded to emails.

Did you try it on all the base files? aka easy, default, hd300?

thanks

sonic blue l

Reaction score
My GH files are definitely better than the stock H&S files, when I asked about trans files differences from GH I got this;

"I would start with the T-Reg file. All files are going to be the same under heavy throttle. At part throttle the Reg file will be closest to stock, the Eco file will try to lock the converter and shift 200 rpm's sooner, the Hybrid file is going to try and keep the rpm's up to stay on top of the charger (mostly for single non vgt setups)."

So I'm on the Reg file right now and been towing on it with good results in town, just did a highway trip to Red Deer with the trailer and it was nice, I still end up turning off tow/haul on the highway at speed so I need them to get it to lock up 5th a little sooner I think. But rolling up to a hill or if I needed to pass, hit Tow/Haul, downshift once, hit the skinny and off she goes, whenever I'm settled back in my new spot I just hit Tow/Haul again and let cruise take back over.

I'm usually by myself so can't really do a video of it, maybe I'll try and bring someone next time and get a quickie. I'm in Calgary, go to Edmonton area sometimes but nothing soon that I have planned.

So gear head uses the tow/haul to lock out 5th correct?
Just curious why no tuner likes using tow/haul for towing. Thats kind of what ford designed it for. :doh:

How are the gear head tunes when not towing?

Thanks

sonic blue l

Reaction score
I tried easy and HD 300. Tried s1l, s1m and s2l, all 3 did it

Thanks for saving me from trying it, still sucks though. I wonder if the tuners got it to work so that its not over revving.

I wonder if they do something like the tuner did on my lighting. Tuned with sct advantage software but programmed using a diablosport predator.

B585Ford

Reaction score
If you are wanting an exhaust brake to work only on Tow Haul, I don't believe that is possilble due to the limitations in MCC. I made my own exh brake with MCC, but that is based off of RPM. You don't have to worry about over-revving cause even grossing over 30k, the exh brake held you back on grades up 7%. After I had my exh brake adjusted to my liking, I did get a tow tune from Matt and he put the exh brake in tune. To get the exh brake to work, you need EBP. With MCC, the only way raise EBP is based on RPM (in most circumstances even the vane tables won't alter EBP). My truck has a manual tranny so I controlled exhaust brake by shifting to the gear that would cause the brake to activate (i.e. it didn't start to kick in until 2k RPM).

sonic blue l

Reaction score
honestly all I need is the tow/haul to work like it does from factory, just without the over rev bs that the h&s tune causes. (maybe a bump in line pressure above factory and some quicker shifts due to additional power, but that would be it)

for me a load based trans file which firms up the shifts and adds some line pressure is all I need. I can do that with a canned sct tow tune on the 6.0l. Tow tune when not towing has firmed up shifts, use tow/haul and it still has firmed up shifts with benefit of engine braking. I just don't get not being able to tow in tow/haul when a 6.4 is tuned. (at least with h&s. worst case I could run my dpf4 when towing, but then there goes the whole point of having a shift on the fly capable tuner)

B585Ford

Reaction score
Having never owned an automatic tranny, I don't think I can be of much help. I've always had great luck with Matt so I would think he would be able to figure it out. I don't know if posting in the MCC section would help you much? Finally, keep in mind, even in the shift on the fly, the only thing you really changing is the PW. Good luck

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hit me up if I can help with mcc and tunes !! I offer a package deal on them.

ckrueg

Reaction score
The tow haul mode works fine for me, just have to let off in 4th for a half a second to get a shift to 5th, but I don't think wot when towing is the best idea anyways. I wish someone could at least figure out the problem with revving to 4k.

Latest posts

Members online