Best shallow mount sub

BK39

Reaction score
I'm bringing this old thread back up. I think my next step will be some shallow subs in the truck. So did you ever get a chance to install the SI subs?

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Also on this step now, got some Audison speakers in the front and some ready to go for the rear, need sub + box + dead/insl, have a small JL mono amp to get the system running.

Single TW3 in Boxworx still the recommended setup for a little extra bass? Don't need to rattle windows or impress anyone, just a little bump on the highway working.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
IMHO the best "shallow" subs are the Illusion Audio Carbon series. They're actually full size subs with the motor inverted so they compare in mounting depth with many subs sold as shallow mount.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
The SI is really good but if you heard the Illusion you'd likely change your vote. I've heard both in numerous installs...the Illusion is just a better SQ sub.

JColeman7827

Reaction score
Unbroken are you getting the Illusion stuff locally? I would like to hear it as I wasn't too impressed with my JL tw3's in my last setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I've never run a capacitor, should I even worry about it with a single 1200w mono block amp? I'm pushing 2 kicker shallows with it. I'm going to switch all my door speakers to kicker as well. I'm not looking to win any sound off competitions, just something to keep me awake when it make my way home after work. If a capacitor is advised, what farad should I go with? I already have the amp and subs. Just need to buy another wiring kit and possibly a capacitor.

JColeman7827

Reaction score
Capacitors are useless imo. Don't waste your money.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
i just installed 2 si bm mkIV's in a 2 chamber sealed enclosure .65 each side got it off ebay for 99$ along with morel hybrid 602 components and a pioneer 4000nex HU. subs are powered by a RF t1500bdcp that does 1100 at 4 ohms. the components are powered by a t600-4 that does 390 watts per side in bridged mode. i cannot say enough about this setup i absolutely love it. the subs are so well defined even at low volume yet the bass sounds like its up front. they go deep and sound great. the components are crystal clear, warm, and smooth even at high volume, midbass is excellence with sealed and deadened doors. the subs and front blend perfectly. ive never been this satisfied with the sound of a system with only setting the gains and crossovers with the eq totally flat.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Unbroken are you getting the Illusion stuff locally? I would like to hear it as I wasn't too impressed with my JL tw3's in my last setup.

I don't know who sells it locally. I get my Focal/Mosconi/Illusion sent in from Cali.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
They're all under Orca's umbrella...if he can get those he can get Illusion.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Check with Lakeside Audio in Conroe. I know they carry Mosconi, not sure on Illusion though. And I got my Focal stuff from them as well.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Illusion's Carbon C12XL is hands down the best SQ sub on the planet. I know that's not the topic of this thread but the technology is in the C10's and C12's also. I got my highest scores for sub tonality, etc last year with a single C12XL....I truly believe it was a big part of why I went undefeated in MECA last season. I'll be running a pair of C10's this season with all other drivers being Illusion also. The only reason I won't run Mosconi amps this year is space....they're huge so I'm using Alpine PDX instead....several of them. lol

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I trust very few local people with installs. Rick Paul did my last install...he's managing a Car Toys out on the west side now but is consistently a Top 100 installer. About the only other person around here would be Chris Pate at Mobil Toys in College Station.
Lots of people are good installers around Houston...very few understand building a competition system and that's where my interest lie.

Yellow1000

Reaction score
I have two of the new jl tw10s , haven't got them put in yet though. They aren't as shallow as I think they should be lol. Gonna be harder than I thought at first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and ****.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Lakeside Audio does a lot of custom and competition systems. Check'em out in FB and IG and see what I mean.

We have little to no real SQ competitions around here unfortunately so what most people call comp systems, aren't. I've seen what people call competition systems....and then I've seen the real thing. They are not the same. LOL
I've been in a lot of local "high end" shops....I've had exactly 2 that could tell me the difference between polarity and phase. If they can answer that right we can talk....if not I'm out the door cause they're not touching my junk. LOL

I looked at Lakeside's build logs....they definitely make pretty stuff but I don't see any SQ installs I'd have any interest in owning. Looks at the speaker locations in their Range Rover album...I guarantee you that sounds like total **** and it's full of high end gear. It may be tonally correct...that's easy but doesn't make it sound good. I guarantee it has no stage at all. Sad to see that gear wasted. If someone wanted a basic, pretty install with trim panels and lights they're obviously a good choice. That's not the game I want to play.

millermwd

Reaction score
Ok I'm sure he can then. I'm thinking Lakeside for the install.

Lakeside does superior work thats the only place id trust in conroe area they take there time and do it right the 1st time, you may just have to call and make a appointment bc they are normally a week or two out.

Was curious on another note how many 10s you think would fit behind the back seat seeing how they have the stock sub and little room between cab and rear seat want 2 maybe 3 if I can fit them.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online