Best shocks

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
It is time. These garbage a$$ rancho shocks have to go.

What are the best all around shocks that will give me the smoothest ride and don't have to be rebuilt every 25k miles?

I know it's a 3/4 ton truck and will never ride like a caddy but I need something that I can at least ride down the road and don't have to have a drink in the cup holder with a screw on top. Or my wife can do her makeup on the way somewhere and doesn't look like she's going to a kids birthday party as a clown.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
After reading and research I think I'm going with fox 2.0.

Just need a vendor to PM me quotes for 4 shocks for a 2011 F-250 with 3.5 in leveling kit.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Good read man thanks. Do we have a vendor on here that deals fox? I would rather my business go through this site before I go the the web and order.

PM with your pricing sent your way.

Get in touch with smokinstroker.

Eric, I think smokinstroker (Chris) is a fox dealer. Good dude. You won't go wrong there

Thanks for the words boys. Pretty sure I've been moving more fox shocks lately than any other shocks I sell, and there's a reason for that.

if the word "best" is being used.. why not Icon Omega's? Aren't they suppose to be awesome?

The word best needs to be used lightly, and everyone will have a different opinion on ride quality. Some like stiff and controlled, some like smoother and spongy. It is really personal preference.
Usually everyone can agree that they want it to soak up the bumps both on and off road and outperform the baseline or factory shock.

The omega is a great shock, but for the average guy, it is way passed what they are looking for. On another hand most guys do not have the knowledge or time/patience to properly tune the omega series and find their real potential, resulting in a poor ride. Not to mention that shock cost is as much as a set of "pre-tuned" shocks for one omega.

Eric TrippleE44 had them on his 6.4, and i believe they took some heavy dialing in.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the Omegas. I probably spent a solid month adjusting after every time I drove until I got it perfect for my driving style and taste. My friend that bought that truck from me hasn't touched them and seems to not know where to start. Not knocking him, but he's probably more like the average guy than me. I think the just a compression adjuster is way more friendly.

Does Fox have an option for a 2.5'' shock already valved for our trucks? I think that was the biggest difference when I got those omegas from the 2.0s I had previously. Seems like that size handles our heavy trucks better to me.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Yeah, I had the Omegas. I probably spent a solid month adjusting after every time I drove until I got it perfect for my driving style and taste. My friend that bought that truck from me hasn't touched them and seems to not know where to start. Not knocking him, but he's probably more like the average guy than me. I think the just a compression adjuster is way more friendly.

Does Fox have an option for a 2.5'' shock already valved for our trucks? I think that was the biggest difference when I got those omegas from the 2.0s I had previously. Seems like that size handles our heavy trucks better to me.

I remember talking to him in Ennis last year and he had talked about not messing with the settings. Lots of trial and error in setting the compression/rebound just right.

Fox does not at this time. A custom application could be done though. And I will agree the 2.5 seems to absorb harsh bumps a bit more.

Randy_270

Reaction score
So the majority of people say the Bilstein 5100s ride firm? I put a set on the front of my truck because my shocks were gone after 30k miles, along with new bump stops. I will say that they made the ride easily 10x better than before but they still ride too soft for me. I only did the front because I'm wanting to do a 4.5" lift by next month and my rear shocks have a little bit of life left in them but not much. I'm thinking going with the Carli Backcountry (5160) kit. Any opinions, I want a firm ride and need something that can handle a beating.
This is what was left of my original bump stops after 30k miles
65970631-AC0B-4423-860D-6399760CD128_zpsncnjy6xp.jpg
29580D93-1960-458E-BAD2-53438B3359D2_zpsyzkgwkf9.jpg

TripleE44

Reaction score
If I did that to bumpstops, I would be trying to get on the stiffer side of a shock. The fact that you say your 5100s are good means you probably NEED the stiffer shock. I would definitely be looking for a 2.5'' shock if I were you.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
So the majority of people say the Bilstein 5100s ride firm? I put a set on the front of my truck because my shocks were gone after 30k miles, along with new bump stops. I will say that they made the ride easily 10x better than before but they still ride too soft for me. I only did the front because I'm wanting to do a 4.5" lift by next month and my rear shocks have a little bit of life left in them but not much. I'm thinking going with the Carli Backcountry (5160) kit. Any opinions, I want a firm ride and need something that can handle a beating.

If you are abusing the truck that heavily and putting it through its paces I would push you to the pintop 2.5 or coil over. The 2.5 shocks will help soak up the suspension cycles. Skip the 2.0 shocks including the bilstein.

If I did that to bumpstops, I would be trying to get on the stiffer side of a shock. The fact that you say your 5100s are good means you probably NEED the stiffer shock. I would definitely be looking for a 2.5'' shock if I were you.

Tree'd by Eric. But this is exactly my advise.

Randy_270

Reaction score
I understand the need for a larger shock, and trust me I want the Kings, but I don't know if the Pin-top kit will be in the budget. That's why I was considering the Backcountry kit, trying to get the best of what I can afford.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I think Icon makes a smooth body/no resi 2.5''. You might look at that.

My 5160s are screwy in under a year, and that's with my sissy street driving self on 99% smooth pavement. They seem to have gotten really bouncy as of lately, I'm just imagining you'd do even more damage to them if I managed to do that.

Strokin&Smokin

Reaction score
Good info in here guys thanks.

I just told Chris that my truck will literally bounce like 3 or 4 times in the front and back over bumps in the road that you wouldn't even notice in a newer car or SUV but I also don't want my truck riding like a land boat so I'm hoping the fox 2.0 will get me in the middle somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.