best towing combo

agent

Reaction score
i originally posted this in the towing section and they said to post in the 6.0 section............im posting this for a coworker because he is monkey when it comes to using a computer. what are the best towing combos he has a 06 king ranch dually and he hauls 20k worth of hay regularly. i told him we could do the delete, get some gauges(insite), studs, and coolant change. is there any tuning for hauling that heavy or is he just better running stock tuning? he is set on getting an intercooler, is it going to be really that benifical or is a stock intercooler ok? Also turbo upgrages? thanks for any info, i posted this on another site and received nothing but dumb replies i am a cummins guy so i am just getting just getting my feet wet with my 6.0. and want to steer him in the right direction so again thanks for any info

Kbryant777

Reaction score
Well don't worry there is a lot of good guys on here. I don't tow that heavy, but I think you would definitely improve things with a sct and a custom tow tune. The inter cooler will lower your his egts which will help while towing. As far as injector turbo combos I'm not really sure towing that heavy, maybe some 155/30 injectors and a MTW hybrid turbo. Hopefully some one that tows that heavy will chime in.

05wh250

Reaction score
Your on the right track with everything you listed. A custom tow tune would be a great addition. Depending on what he wants as far as power would decide injectors. An intercooler would be a good addition if he can swing it

Reaction score
most towing tunes are less than max hp, so I dunno if the intercooler would really be a big benefit. I'd tend to leave it til I could monitor post intercooler air temps as well as egt. Myself I installed a PHP tuner with a FICM strategy rollback the improvement on an otherwise dead stock truck was amazing.(it is the first tuned truckI have driven) It has a forty hp setting that is considered safe for towing as well as an 80 and 120 which he recommends studs before running hard

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
With what info you have posted I would recommend the following:

PCM/FICM rollback= Current Ford reflashes take away power and MPG

PCM/FICM tuning= Tow tuning and a FICM tune could give a nice bump to the power side.

Intake manifold= A modded intake manifold is a better investment than a turbo and injectors.

EGR Delete= I think we all know it's more thorn than a rose for the 6.0L

Y-pipe/EGR up pipe= Modded up-pipes with HD bellows and a modded collector will improve the feeding of the turbo.

I know there are some others...it's early.

SILVERSTROKER250

Reaction score
gauges, itp regulated return, Sct with custom tow tune, zoodad mod, and i have a gogo stage 1 manifold which is a great improvement. im not sure about horsepower increase but spool up is much better and about 150 egt drop with pulling that much egts are what i would focus on. does it already have studs and egr delete?

agent

Reaction score
thanks guys great info, i forgot about the gogo manifold i will tell him to go with that instead of a intercooler. i have spent the last 2 weeks telling him to not buy any bank$ stuff, even us 12v cummins guys know that much. he will be towing a 36 foot flatbed loaded with round bales or large squares. he is not looking for a powerhouse just relibile and better fuel economy. no studs or egr delete yet, i am trying to get all the info so he can do it in one shot and have it ready to haul this spring. i hope i answered all the questions and thanks again for the info its nice to get some real answers on this.

Latest posts

Members online