Best towing combo

Reaction score
Currently have studs, cast powermax (ceramic coated) stock intake, 4inch downpipe and exhaust, coolant filter, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, egr ******, Riffraff boots and cold side pipe, New oil cooler, stand pipe, and stc fittings, heads were completely gone through and machined, and sct with geerhead tunes, and a hellwig rear sway bar...

Is the billet worth trying? Should I replace the stock front sway bar with a larger one (made a huge difference in my last truck). And if I keep this turbo and do billet wheel, what size injectors? Thinking some 175/30s, but this truck will be towing 13-15,000 lb 5er. Pretty sure I want air bags and traction bars, what are some ideas and things y'all have done you felt like really made a difference, wether it be better tow power, or handling, all ideas welcome

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

valvetick

Reaction score
I have kc stage 1.5 and 190/30 and it tows 22-25k gcw just fine on 35's. I have a srw 350 so I had to add air bags I think your heading in the right direction. Air bags alone made a big difference. I've never had a powermax but some say it's laggy prepared to the billet wheel KC turbos so the wheel may help with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I towed on a KC stage 2 and stage 3 with 190/30 injectors. My toy hauler is about the same weight that you said, and i had no issues towing with either setup. You should have no problem with 175/30, as long as yhe powermax will flow enough air. I also have never driven one, but have heard the same things about th powermax vs the kc turbos that valvetick has.

Merc82

Reaction score
Night and day difference with a Powermax with the cast wheel and a billet. I highly recommend making the switch if you choose to stay with that turbo.

kwelch08

Reaction score
I have 190/30 and kc stage 2 and like about it love the way it tows. Temps are easily managed with a good tow tune. If you have the extra money I'd look into the stage 1.5 or 2 that they have. If not for sure invest in a billet as soon as you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Anbody think the ported intake manifolds and better elbows are worth it just for lower egts? And I currently have the stock intake, and am thinking I may do the no limit soon, does it make any difference in Egt's or noticable difference in sound level? I know the intakes made the 7.3 waaaay louder, but the powermax is already loud, can't imagine it getting much worse

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Merc82

Reaction score
The No limit intake should help. The elbow, probably not, the only good thing they are for is that most have ports for injectables on them, that is the reason I bought one. The ported intake made a big difference for me in spool up and I dropped over 100° when cruising on the highway.

When I was on stock injectors and put a Powermax on, the best things I did for that setup where: billet wheel, FICM tuning and a ported intake, in that order. It was a fun setup.

Petro

Reaction score
You guys are saying the Billet wheel in the powermax makes that big of a difference? Running 190/100's and a Powermax in my 6 speed truck, it doesn't spool bad at all but if it'd make a big difference I'll order one. Just wasn't sure it'd be worth it. Tows great now as long as your over 2k rpm.

Merc82

Reaction score
For me, it did. At least with the stock injectors. I moved to a S2 turbo before I added the 190/30s. I am sure with the 190/100s you probably wouldn't notice a big difference in spoolup because you already have a good amount of fuel behind it. I don't think it is a bad investment though.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of billet personally. If the wheel is under 200 dollars chances are it's under engineered junk

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah interesting on the billet wheel, It really didn't make much of a difference on the 7.3, unless you had a even plane wheel that surged, but no spool up or power difference we could tell. But if everyone keeps reporting they actually could tell a difference, I think it's worth it, guess I'll find out.

Reaction score
For me, it did. At least with the stock injectors. I moved to a S2 turbo before I added the 190/30s. I am sure with the 190/100s you probably wouldn't notice a big difference in spoolup because you already have a good amount of fuel behind it. I don't think it is a bad investment though.
Who's billet wheel?

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Yea I'd never buy a powermax. If you have one, KC stg2 upgrade and 175/30s if you tow heavy. I want a stg 2 and 190 or 205s and a 30 or 75% nozzle.

Merc82

Reaction score
Who's billet wheel?

I got mine from Nate back in the day when he was with MTW, I believe he sells KC Turbos products now, or you can just get it from the man behind KC himself since he is a sponsor here. I went through him for parts for my S2, good guy to deal with.

Yea I'd never buy a powermax. If you have one, KC stg2 upgrade and 175/30s if you tow heavy. I want a stg 2 and 190 or 205s and a 30 or 75% nozzle.

It wasn't a bad turbo by any means, the price was right on mine since I horse traded for some Mercury 300 pro max parts, lol. But, I would choose the KC stage 2 over the powermax nowadays if I was in the market.

Reaction score
I would choose KC too, the PO put the powermax on. But, if I recall, somewhere Mr. KC (Charley) said a healthy billet powermax was ALMOST comparable to his stage 2, and wouldn't spend the money on the change to the stage 2. Not only is mine in good shape, it's fairly new, and the PO had it ceramic coated, all it needs is whatever billet wheel Charlie recommends. I'd probably send it to him for install and balance when the time comes, his reputation seems to be incredible.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Iirc Charlie said it wasn't worth it to buy a stg2

But I'll probably do the DIY kit and save myself some money

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Well... Just to clarify.

Our KC stage 2 64mm turbo is MUCH better than a PMAX, even a pmax with a billet wheel. It has a lot to do with the cover profile/design and comp, along with the vanes we use. It is not so much because they are different in size...

It is just hard to justify $1690 to "upgrade" from a pmax to a stage 2 turbo. I have had many customers with blown up pmax turbos upgrade to the stage 2 and I have had LOTS of guys sell their pmax and billet pmax turbos for $900-$1100 and then buy a stage 2 from us and they have always been very happy.

I hope that makes sense... and was not meant to bash on anyone with a pmax currently on the truck.

Reaction score
Charlie, how about spool, in what areas and specific traits are better and comparable to the billet powermax? My main use for the truck will be for a 15-16,000 lb 5er, towing it on interstates and around the NC and TN mountains, if you say there's enough improvement switching from my NON billet powermax to your stage 2, then I'll get to that switch. I'm planning on the ported intake manifold and a no-limit intake, gonna put a resonator on my 4 inch exhaust, traction bars, bigger front sway bar, and some airbags in the rear. What is an average price one might get for a ceramic coated, fairly new, non billet powermax?

03cody

Reaction score
Charlie, how about spool, in what areas and specific traits are better and comparable to the billet powermax? My main use for the truck will be for a 15-16,000 lb 5er, towing it on interstates and around the NC and TN mountains, if you say there's enough improvement switching from my NON billet powermax to your stage 2, then I'll get to that switch. I'm planning on the ported intake manifold and a no-limit intake, gonna put a resonator on my 4 inch exhaust, traction bars, bigger front sway bar, and some airbags in the rear. What is an average price one might get for a ceramic coated, fairly new, non billet powermax?

I've never run a powermax but I do run a kc stage 2 and when Charlie says that it spools like stock.....he is not kidding. There is zero lag and I literally cannot tell the difference between it and the stocker. Other than this turbo cleans up my 190/75's a lot better lol. I would say that if you're gonna be pulling that much weight that it would be worth it to have a turbo that will flow more air and light just as quick as a stocker. Just my opinion.

Edit: Also for that weight, smaller injectors will be your friend. I know people have run the stage 2 with stock injectors and had great luck. If anything I would look into a set of 155/stocks, 155/30's, or even 175/stock. iirc a stock nozzle will empty a 175cc injector. Towing that much weight, a small nozzle will suite you better because smaller nozzles = better fuel atomization. which = cooler egts. which, will make you happy since you won't have to stare at the pyro the whole time.

Last edited:

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Well... Just to clarify.

Our KC stage 2 64mm turbo is MUCH better than a PMAX, even a pmax with a billet wheel. It has a lot to do with the cover profile/design and comp, along with the vanes we use. It is not so much because they are different in size...

It is just hard to justify $1690 to "upgrade" from a pmax to a stage 2 turbo. I have had many customers with blown up pmax turbos upgrade to the stage 2 and I have had LOTS of guys sell their pmax and billet pmax turbos for $900-$1100 and then buy a stage 2 from us and they have always been very happy.

I hope that makes sense... and was not meant to bash on anyone with a pmax currently on the truck.

Bash away lol I need a stg 2, pmax is NOT cutting it for me. I'm thinking that the DIY kit is my best bet, since I have a stupid pmax as is?

Latest posts

Members online