best way to clean head mating surface on the the block

DBQLSC

Reaction score
Just as a side note, Mystic metal mover works great for anything metal working. Drilling, honing, tapping, etc. Just DO NOT weld around it at all!!!! The arc light turns it into methyl-ethyl-deathaline. Ok, I'm done, continue.

Snake

Reaction score
Got mine off amazon 14"x3" and mystic metal mover for my honing oil

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

If u can find a large "diamond" tristone that's what I would use

Hook a brother up with some more info. I searched all over Amazon and came up with squat.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Thanks. At least I'm not going crazy. Saw that one but it wasn't a diamond stone. Based on the prices, I have a feeling this is the one I'll be ordering also.

They work great... use them in a circular motion the full length of the block lightly to start with to locate the low spots and work the block evenly to keep from making a new low spot

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The best way by far is to take it to the machine shop and have them deck it to .000 flat.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's safe to say most of the guys doing this in their own garage don't have the resources to have the entire engine yanked and stripped down for block machining. I don't mind smoothing it by hand.

Spindrift

Reaction score
If it has been done by others with success I'm not going to be the one to criticize but I never knew sharpening stones were speced to be .00 flat.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
If it has been done by others with success I'm not going to be the one to criticize but I never knew sharpening stones were speced to be .00 flat.

Lay a straight edge on one.... that seems pretty simple

Spindrift

Reaction score
Lay a straight edge on one.... that seems pretty simple

Understood, but a stone doesn't allow you to check across the length and diagonals of the deck. And that's what a precision straight edge will provide for you. Once that step is complete, sure, use a good flat stone.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Understood, but a stone doesn't allow you to check across the length and diagonals of the deck. And that's what a precision straight edge will provide for you. Once that step is complete, sure, use a good flat stone.

U can't straight edge the block? That's the first thing I was taught after pulling the head off any engine was checking the deck front to back, side to side and diagonally for flatnness..... seems to be a pretty simple to concept.... we never stated its as fast as having a machine shop do it but its achievable... I haven't had a block yet that had more than a few high spots from the ****ty mass production of the blocks

Latest posts

Members online