Better Tuning For 11-12 Trucks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have GH tuning and the NL intake on my '12

Picked up a solid 1mpg towing heavy w/ the NL. (hand calculated)

Those are positive things. Unfortunately I can't get it to stop bouncing around and rubbing. Tried many different positions, no dice. I think I'll just make a bracket to hold the darn thing.

More turbo whistle too :)

Can't wait until I can do the Midwest 65.5 kit.

I have noticed more smoke lately though, I think the filter is dirty even though it doesn't look like it. Mike says he sells a cleaning kit,...on the 'list'.

Also, the MM is switching down tunes on long hill pulls in 3rd (reving and pulling hard, GVW: 25klbs). IDK why though, none of the gauges are beyond max. So I just slow down some. Probably going too fast anyway.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the MM, GH, AFE 5" and NL intake. Runs good, pulls hard and shifts great.

really easy temp fix, zip tie from the filter base to the battery box holes.. i am working on a permanent fix that should absolve this issue forever.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
my 12 runs very well... to me it feels identical to my 7.3 dually.. lol.. yeah yeah, should be no comparison but my dually is set up well and other then lacking 2 more gears... they are very close to the same.. track times put them both at 450hp and shifting is about the same too..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I went from GH to PPEI and there is no comparison. My truck has stock manners while farting around town and runs really well when you need it.

Does PPEI still make tunes for trucks on a diet? I've heard a lot of good things about them but some say the trans doesn't shift very good???

But I agree on GH tunes to be really lacking compared to others plus their customer support after the sale is basically nonexistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHY NOT

Reaction score
really easy temp fix, zip tie from the filter base to the battery box holes.. i am working on a permanent fix that should absolve this issue forever.

I may have to give the zip ties a shot I have some rub marks in a few places on mine and on the pre filter.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Well, after a long conversation with Morgan from Midwest, and a new tune to try, the truck runs 100% better. I'm not sure what Morgan changed, but I can't remember the last time the truck ran so well. The "dead spot" is gone, it's less smokey, and way more responsive throughout the entire RPM range. Yes, less smoke, but more responsive. Sometimes a phone call is worth 100 emails lol. I've put a little over 200 miles on the new tune, and it has been flawless so far. I'll post another update once I put some more miles on, but I'm pretty confident the new tuning took care of my issues.

BTW, thank you to the guys who were offering to loan me a stock intake. Hopefully, I won't need one, but I'll let you know if that changes.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I just wanted to follow up with an update on this...

I've been running a new file from Morgan for the past few weeks, and all the issues I was describing have been 100% resolved. The flat spot/dead pedal is gone, the turbo spools faster, the truck smokes less, and it just runs better overall. For as long as I can remember, my truck felt very weak at low-to-mid RPM. It ran like a bat out of hell over 2,250 but getting to that point felt pathetic. That has been 100% resolved. The power is strong, linear, and right there throughout the entire RPM range. The truck runs as smooth as a stock truck, but with A LOT more power. I'm picky, VERY picky, and I honestly cannot find a flaw with this tune. I wanted to put on a bunch of miles before reporting back, and with over 1,000 miles so far, I couldn't be happier.

Also, I want to mention that Morgan was extremely helpful and patient. I was so frustrated with the truck, and I just didn't know what to do. Midwest is a pretty busy shop, but Morgan took the time to listen to everything I was experiencing. I've modified every vehicle I've owned, and the customer service from Morgan at Midwest beats any other company I've ever dealt with. Period.

Last edited:

Mike9909

Reaction score
2012 F-250 8ft: My truck lost some parts about 4 weeks ago and was a complete joke from start-up. I used the No Limit STG 2 intake with Mini tuner and it's tunes.... It was terrible, massive dead spot on the low end, hard shifting trans, and just made more noise than movement. It was giant kick to the nads. I quit driving it until I could get some different tunes in her.

NL sold me the ******** tunes black Friday and they were emailed to me the same night. Installing them made 100% improvement from where the truck was. BUT it is still not right. I feel that it was a better machine stock. I don't feel there are any power gains until higher gears and RPM (like accelerating on interstate or highway) and the low end is quite undesirable with poor 'driveability'. 1 and 2 gear always shift rough and 3rd gear is hit and miss.

After seeing this thread i contacted midwest but they weren't too interested because I had stock turbo and fuel system...

I need help.. What step should I take next? Id like to make the money i've spent thus far work for me

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
You need to have a very detailed and long conversation with Mike. Explain what you are seeing at each step. Maybe something isn't unplugged/plugged correctly or maybe your intake tube is backwards. I'm not poking the bear, just saying we all make mistakes when we get excited and Mike has seen them all, at least twice.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
2012 F-250 8ft: My truck lost some parts about 4 weeks ago and was a complete joke from start-up. I used the No Limit STG 2 intake with Mini tuner and it's tunes.... It was terrible, massive dead spot on the low end, hard shifting trans, and just made more noise than movement. It was giant kick to the nads. I quit driving it until I could get some different tunes in her.

NL sold me the ******** tunes black Friday and they were emailed to me the same night. Installing them made 100% improvement from where the truck was. BUT it is still not right. I feel that it was a better machine stock. I don't feel there are any power gains until higher gears and RPM (like accelerating on interstate or highway) and the low end is quite undesirable with poor 'driveability'. 1 and 2 gear always shift rough and 3rd gear is hit and miss.

After seeing this thread i contacted midwest but they weren't too interested because I had stock turbo and fuel system...

I need help.. What step should I take next? Id like to make the money i've spent thus far work for me

we can make some changes and try something else for sure. we want them right for you !! call tomorrow and ask for me or luke !

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I'm betting there's an install issue. I'm running the same setup w/ g3earhead tunes and w/ traction control off, mine will boil the tires thru the first 2 gears and well into 3rd. Only way I could be happier is if I had a StreetmaxR and a '15 pump :D
In fact I'm about to head off on a 700mi trip today (long drive in 1 day) where I expect to get 18mpg @75-80mph.

My truck runs like a raped ape. :)

f100cleveland

Reaction score
I'm betting there's an install issue. I'm running the same setup w/ g3earhead tunes and w/ traction control off, mine will boil the tires thru the first 2 gears and well into 3rd. Only way I could be happier is if I had a StreetmaxR and a '15 pump :D
In fact I'm about to head off on a 700mi trip today (long drive in 1 day) where I expect to get 18mpg @75-80mph.

My truck runs like a raped ape. :)

Do you disable traction control more than just pushing the button on the dash?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Do you disable traction control more than just pushing the button on the dash?

yes. you habe to hold the button down till is says "advanced trac off".. 13s and up still have issues even doing that I think..

live life full throttle

JRLott

Reaction score
yes. you habe to hold the button down till is says "advanced trac off".. 13s and up still have issues even doing that I think..

Hold it down 8 seconds or so. I think it'll turn back on if you get too crazy for too long on the newer ones, like linc said.

f100cleveland

Reaction score

live life full throttle

Hold it down 8 seconds or so. I think it'll turn back on if you get too crazy for too long on the newer ones, like linc said.

Thanks guys. I know on my 2013 F350 work truck, holding it down til advanced trac off is displayed doesn't really change anything. Can still get stuck and hold it floored and it will leave idle just long enough to slip, then right back to idle. 4 low is the only way around that. But I guess I haven't ever tried it on my 2012 cuz I figured it was the same way. Good to know, guess I'll be trying that out later today:rockon:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I know on my 2013 F350 work truck, holding it down til advanced trac off is displayed doesn't really change anything. Can still get stuck and hold it floored and it will leave idle just long enough to slip, then right back to idle. 4 low is the only way around that. But I guess I haven't ever tried it on my 2012 cuz I figured it was the same way. Good to know, guess I'll be trying that out later today:rockon:
I can whip around in circles throwing rooster tails and mine stays off in my 12..

live life full throttle

JRLott

Reaction score

Try setting the emergency brake to the first click. You'll have to listen to the chime, but I've read on here it'll work in 4 hi. Have not tried it myself.

Jomax

Reaction score
I'll be making my aux switch disconnect the ABS. Still haven't had the time though. That's the best bet

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'll be making my aux switch disconnect the ABS. Still haven't had the time though. That's the best bet

does that do anything to the rear e locker by chance?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online