Big 35's or Small 37's

carmichael

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking into tires right now my setup is 2011 F350 with 3.55 gears. 6" stage 2 pro comp lift dual front shock mounts, pro comp rear traction bars, H&S full ****** with 5" straight pipe exhaust with S&B cold air intake. I currently run the nitro trail grappler 35x12.5.20 love them so far have gotten about 70,000kms out of them. Now my question is the nitro trail grappler 35x12.5x20 according to nitto measures out at a 35.04 where as the grappler 37x13.5x20 measures out at 36.77 so a small 37. difference of a little more than an 1.7 inches. doesn't seem like much considering you divide that in half for either side of the tire. is that much of a difference worth it. I like the big suspension look and the fact that i can have the wheel turned and not have the tire bash the back of the fender when i hit a bump. Will the 37's rob me of a lot of horse power and will they hit anything? I shouldn't have to regear? I think it came stock 34.4's. it's a daily driver I rarely tow with it and rarely off road.

carmichael

Reaction score
as I stated above thats my setup. I think a 36" tire would be the sweet spot but not alot of options. Is there anyone running the mickey thompson 36x15.5x20 mtz on there 2011 f350 and up with a 6" lift. if so do they rub and whats the offset you are using?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I hate lifts...hate huge tires. I am in the process of removing my 6" lift right now. I have ran 35s the last two sets of tires.

Id go for a 35. 37s kinda sucked when towing. Well ccompared to a 35.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Why not like a 325/55R20 Toyo AT2 or Duratrac its a little taller than a 35 but not much. I agree with the 37's making a pretty good difference towing. I have 37's for winter wheels but 35's for summer wheels. I think 35's are going to look small on a 6" lift though.

TripleE44

Reaction score
You will be fine on power with 37s in a 6.7. There is a small loss from 35s to 37s but not anything to be worried about in my opinion. I'm running 37s on a 3.5" all the time and it's plenty. My trucks tuned and all though, don't know about yours.

TyCorr

Reaction score
You will be fine on power with 37s in a 6.7. There is a small loss from 35s to 37s but not anything to be worried about in my opinion. I'm running 37s on a 3.5" all the time and it's plenty. My trucks tuned and all though, don't know about yours.

I see the op said he doesn't tow. Do you tow much?

It wasnt an overall power issue, moreso, to cruise on a highway you didnt find road gear until 70mph.

I love your truck btw!! Looks good.

Jomax

Reaction score
I had 37s and it towed amazingly well... These trucks don't feel bigger tires like the old truck did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carmichael

Reaction score
Yeah it's tuned H&S tuner usually keep it on street tune. With the 37's did you guys have to trim anything right now I don't hit at all any where no matter how big the bump or with the wheel turned while going over bumps. I don't wanna be turning out of my driveway with 37's and have it hitting. I would like the mickey Thompson mtz 36x15.5x20 I think it would look great as a 36" tire happy medium lets say but the 15.5 wide on a 6" lift I'm not sure the steering would clear does anyone have experience with theses tires and a 6" lift?
Thanks for all the input so far much appreciated

TripleE44

Reaction score
I see the op said he doesn't tow. Do you tow much?

It wasnt an overall power issue, moreso, to cruise on a highway you didnt find road gear until 70mph.

I love your truck btw!! Looks good.

I don't tow with the truck. On the highway my trucks in 6th by 50mph if I'm just cruising. At 60 I'm just under 1500rpm and it barely goes up by 70.

Thank you sir

TripleE44

Reaction score
Yeah it's tuned H&S tuner usually keep it on street tune. With the 37's did you guys have to trim anything right now I don't hit at all any where no matter how big the bump or with the wheel turned while going over bumps. I don't wanna be turning out of my driveway with 37's and have it hitting. I would like the mickey Thompson mtz 36x15.5x20 I think it would look great as a 36" tire happy medium lets say but the 15.5 wide on a 6" lift I'm not sure the steering would clear does anyone have experience with theses tires and a 6" lift?
Thanks for all the input so far much appreciated

The width of the 15.50 is the issue there.

We also need to know your wheel width to determine if it's going to rub or not.

I've got 37s on 3.5" and other people have done it on 2.5". But we also are running 8.5-9" wide wheels.

Mine touched the bumper bracket and the felt liner. I bent the liner back and loosened the bumper bracket and moved it out of the way. Nothing too serious, but it's hard to say what issue, if any, you'd have without knowing the width of your wheels.

carmichael

Reaction score
I looking at getting new rims. I was going to go with Fuel Beast 20X10 8x170 -18 offset 4.750 back spacing.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I would say you'd be fine with 37s.

I ran 20x10s -24mm offset on 35s at my current height with no problem. That's actually when I did the bumper bracket and the fender liner.

Jomax

Reaction score
I fit 37x 12.5s with a 17x9 0mm offset, 5.5in back spaced rim on a 2.5-3in lift.

Had to pull back the felt liner a bit and that was it. No bumper mods needed.

Reaction score
I have toyo AT2's on my f350 and they were 35 but actually 34.5" I ordered 37 1350 18 toyo mt's and its a HUGE difference side by side. Toyo does measure actual 37inches but it was more of a difference than I expected. FWIW

carmichael

Reaction score
Did you find much of a power difference when taking off or driving around the city.

Jomax

Reaction score
Did you find much of a power difference when taking off or driving around the city.

When I had mine, I did not. To add how good these still run with 37s.

A buddy owns a 2006 F350 6.0 Towboss 4.30 gears. All the reliability mods done, stock dually tires, and a tow tune. He couldn't believe how my stock 6.7 with 37s could out tow his truck.

Hooked up his toy hauler, and pulled it up sunset point (6-7%grade for 5-8miles) towed it 10mph faster up the hill....

From that point he isn't adding a dime to his 6.0 and will upgrade to a 6.7.

These things truly are amazing.

slowcoupe

Reaction score
I had an 08 just leveled in the front 2.5" and ran 37/13.5/22 on a 22x9 wheel 0 offset and only had to pull back the fender liner. I went from stock to a 37" tall and only difference I noticed was a little decrease in mpg. Daily driving and towing still felt the same granted I did have a ZF6 so my trans wasn't searching for a cruise gear at all.

And 37's will fill your fenders up a bit more which IMO makes a truck more appealing to me.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
did you find a lack of power with the 37's?

There is a difference, I can tell It takes a little more to get going a little more to stop. Not like the truck is struggling at all though. I had about 14K behind it yesterday and it has no issues passing traffic or anything like that. Also on flat ground set the cruise at 70mph and she just sang the whole way. 14K is a light load for my truck though, with as heavy as I tow I would probably regear I I was going to run them all the time, but they are just my winter wheels. My spring summer fall are 35's on 12 wides

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.