big oil

oneturboforme

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread with my experience with oil. I cannot speak for the bigger single pumps just terminator twins and the gen 3 set up. There is no doubt that the gen 3 supplies any injector you can think of and install is so fast and simple. The terminator twins require more time for install. Now on cold starts the gen 3 requires longer cranking and a rough idle for a few seconds. The twins fire the truck up very fast and smooth. With the gen 3 set up I would get a weird idle at about 1300rpm and sometimes driving it would almost seem like a big block with a big cam. The gen 3 usually wouldnot take long cranking after the first start of the day. As far as throttle response I have to say the twins. It seems like a very smooth crisp transition. The gen 3 seemed to almost give 2 stroke power. I know all of this info kind of falls on the ipr and how it reacts with tuning etc. For the record the tunes were never changed and the ipr was brand new with the gen 3. So here is a list of how I rate them

Install. Gen 3 hands down
cold start. Terminator twins
smooth idle. Terminator twins
Lugging the engine. Terminator twins
hot start. tie
throttle response. Terminator twins
price. gen 3
WFO. Tie. Both made plenty for my 300/200

FWIW if I had to do it again. A drag race, pulling, or weekend drive truck that sees the skinny pedal smashed to the floor and needs the oil the gen 3 would be what I would choose and put the money somewhere else. If it is a daily driver, tow rig, gets driven on the street alot. I would not waste money on a gen 3 because in the long run you'll get twins anyways. Hope this helps someone save some money I know I didn't LOL

Reaction score
With tuning changes the gen 3 would act just like the termys on the road. With that much volume available the ICP ramp rate and DC need to be changed to tame it down because of the shear volume the pump outputs. Of idle throttle response will be comparable the haldex pump is doing all the work at idle just cannot make pressure at cranking rpms.
Both are great choices iv had experiences with both. I like the fact that the gen 3 doesn't take up the entire valley

oneturboforme

Reaction score
FWIW my tuning was gearhead for the gen 3. I don't think the sucking res dryon cold starts and rough idling would be fixed with just tuning. I will say if you use two iprs I think it would preform awesome, in my opinion that little pump just moves to much for one ipr

mandkole

Reaction score
Im surprised this thread hasnt gotten traction... Ive been interested in more feedback on the Gen 3.

Im not seeing why the Gen 3 should be draining the res any differently if the oil flow is managed by the IPR in a normal configuration. Id agree, seems like a tuning issue. What did swamps say?

oneturboforme

Reaction score
Kinda talked to swamps a bit he was saying the pump won't build pressure at that low of rpm that is the only reason they keep the factory hpop. I think draining the res might have to due with two pumps drawing out of it. Thats why I don't know why swamps doesn't make the res bigger on them?

Latest posts

Members online