Big Turbo Mount Reinforcement/Up Pipe Welds - Pics!

buck russell

Reaction score
For those not familiar, I purchased Eric @ IDP's Grey 6.4 CC back in November. Since then I've enjoyed the truck and had a few small hiccups along the way, but that's to be expected when you're not stock and fooling around with a bigger turbo. Just wanted to share my most recent project with my 6.4.

Recently noticed that the truck wasn't running as strong and it sounded like it was developing an exhaust leak. Turns out the up pipe cracked clear off the pedestal. Decided to take the truck down to Steve @ Brad Fab Industries to have him make the final call on what needed to be completed.

After letting Steve and his guys dig into it a bit, he came to the conclusion that the up pipe bellow had separated/cracked and wasn't giving enough flex under full boost. This in turn caused the up pipe to separate from the turbo pedestal. In addition to that, the down pipe was rubbing the firewall and trans pan. Steve also noticed that the oil line under the turbo was leaking and one of the bolts holding the turbo mount to the motor was only hand tight. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed in all the problems but hey, this is what happens when you mod anything.

Rather than go through the same ordeal twice, I decided to let Steve go overboard and basically re-engineer/reinforce all the mounts and welds. The guy has incredible talent and you can see that in the pictures below:

9158781193_a72855f4b7_c.jpg

9158781137_135f3eba01_z.jpg

9161003332_d8c6e88283_z.jpg

9161003262_eaa7dcbe74_z.jpg

9161003162_4fef0d424e_z.jpg

9158780859_f756f36dc9_z.jpg

If you're running larger turbo, I encourage you to inspect your mounts and up pipes at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.