Big vgt or non vgt?

04 f350

Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions on both of these as far as driveability, performance and so on... Gonna step up from the barder somtime after the new year and just can't decide on wether to go with somthin like an s475 with T4 up pipes or to stick with a big vgt (mtw stage 4 or prototype stage 4 from barder) when and if James ever releases it. I love the quick spool of the vgts but it seems more and more guys are goin non vgt now, basically I don't wanna wish I had gotta somthin else after all said and done.

Strokin89

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat can't decide what I want to do. Thinking a non vgt with t4 up pipes

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

04 f350

Reaction score
s475 is pretty laggy but it's fun when it lights!

Yea I figured it would be laggy...is it very noticeable say leaving a stop light? This isn't my daily driver or anything and I'm not much for taking it to the track seeing as there isn't many around my way, I'm more of a sports car or other truck pulls up beside me on the interstate and we give it hell for a couples miles kinda dude ha...and the non vgt sound is really growing on me as well, I've had the airplane bout to land in the back yard whistle for going on 3 years now...

Strokin89

Reaction score
Ive heard some non vgt turbos that whistle also, not as loud as an 03 turbo tho

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

04 f350

Reaction score
Yea I have too....def not as bad as powermax or 03 tho for sure, just ready for a change basically.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Yea I figured it would be laggy...is it very noticeable say leaving a stop light? This isn't my daily driver or anything and I'm not much for taking it to the track seeing as there isn't many around my way, I'm more of a sports car or other truck pulls up beside me on the interstate and we give it hell for a couples miles kinda dude ha...and the non vgt sound is really growing on me as well, I've had the airplane bout to land in the back yard whistle for going on 3 years now...

Honestly, stop light to stop light isn't bad at all with my truck. I have a 2000 stall converter also... It's when you get going 50-60 and the converter is locked and you are cruising. That is where it is super laggy and will just smoke and go nowhere until the rpm's come up, or you drop it down a gear.

Strokin89

Reaction score
I figured since I have a 6 speed I'd have a lot of lag but after talking to another member on here who also runs a zf6 he told me its really not bad at all so I think I'll try going non vgt

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I figured since I have a 6 speed I'd have a lot of lag but after talking to another member on here who also runs a zf6 he told me its really not bad at all so I think I'll try going non vgt

What turbo and injectors were you planning on?

Strokin89

Reaction score
Thinking 225's and a 63 or 64mm

johnp115

Reaction score
Honestly, stop light to stop light isn't bad at all with my truck. I have a 2000 stall converter also... It's when you get going 50-60 and the converter is locked and you are cruising. That is where it is super laggy and will just smoke and go nowhere until the rpm's come up, or you drop it down a gear.

I was racing a friend in his mustang and my truck wouldn't go anywhere when locked at low rpm...

But when i did hit the tow haul button and dropped it down into higher rpms i left him and kept pulling (wouldn't have kept pulling on stock turbos/a vgt) even though i have a 6.4 its the same thing really.

Just gotta learn/tune to keep the rpms up, and if you're racing someone don't try it locked in low rpms... cause thats where it gets embarrassing LOL

04 f350

Reaction score
I was racing a friend in his mustang and my truck wouldn't go anywhere when locked at low rpm...

But when i did hit the tow haul button and dropped it down into higher rpms i left him and kept pulling (wouldn't have kept pulling on stock turbos/a vgt) even though i have a 6.4 its the same thing really.

Just gotta learn/tune to keep the rpms up, and if you're racing someone don't try it locked in low rpms... cause thats where it gets embarrassing LOL

Haha yea that's mostly where I would be doing any kind of racing is just messing around on the highways every now and then, Is it worth it to bite the bullet tho if I do go no vgt to do the race cover and billet wheel? Or would I even notice it being all I've driven is a VGT?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions on both of these as far as driveability, performance and so on... Gonna step up from the barder somtime after the new year and just can't decide on wether to go with somthin like an s475 with T4 up pipes or to stick with a big vgt (mtw stage 4 or prototype stage 4 from barder) when and if James ever releases it. I love the quick spool of the vgts but it seems more and more guys are goin non vgt now, basically I don't wanna wish I had gotta somthin else after all said and done.

I think it all depends on why you are stepping up in size? What are you looking for that your Stage 2 is not doing?
Better track times?
Better dyno numbers?
Clean up injectors better?
Better driveability?
Faster from stop light to stop light?
Lower WOT egts?
Lower crusing egts?
Etc...

Basically what I am getting at is that turbo sizing is very important. I would never recommend someone buying an s480 in hopes to beat a few mustangs off the line from stoplight to stoplight. I also would not recommend a 64mm stage 2 turbo to someone looking to break records at the track. Bigger is not always better... especially for driving around town or towing

04 f350

Reaction score
The stage 2 is great I'm not complaining about it...it's just time for go for somthin else, wether that be a big vgt or a non. I just enjoy seeing what kinda difference a bigger charger would make, curiosity is all it is really...I don't think there is anybody around where I live at least that I know of running a non vgt on a 6 liter, be fun to see how drives with one in there.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
The stage 2 is great I'm not complaining about it...it's just time for go for somthin else, wether that be a big vgt or a non. I just enjoy seeing what kinda difference a bigger charger would make, curiosity is all it is really...I don't think there is anybody around where I live at least that I know of running a non vgt on a 6 liter, be fun to see how drives with one in there.

Thats cool I understand...

But what are you hoping to get out of the bigger charger? That will help to point you in the right direction better.

If you are looking for just a little more power... but don't want to lose too much driveability then I would go with a bigger vgt turbo.

If you are looking for all out power and don't care how slow the turbo spools then I would go with a non-vgt

04 f350

Reaction score
Thats cool I understand...

But what are you hoping to get out of the bigger charger? That will help to point you in the right direction better.

If you are looking for just a little more power... but don't want to lose too much driveability then I would go with a bigger vgt turbo.

If you are looking for all out power and don't care how slow the turbo spools then I would go with a non-vgt

Probably gonna go with a non vgt and see if I like it or not....that being said any takers on this stage 2?? Lol i doubt it even has 1000 miles on it yet...

Bushwood_6.0

Reaction score
I drive my 75 it's laggy yes but power is crazy. Like josh said locked in OD trying to pass it's bad. Other then that it's nice easy to drive with no smoke as once it lites it's nasty with my 285/150s

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I drive my 75 it's laggy yes but power is crazy. Like josh said locked in OD trying to pass it's bad. Other then that it's nice easy to drive with no smoke as once it lites it's nasty with my 285/150s

Yep. Other than converter locked in 4th or 5th at slow (ish) speeds, it is pretty smoke free and a blast to drive. Maybe I'll take a video on my way home tonight

ford rules

Reaction score
Non vgt's don't spool as bad as most people think/say. I love my 366 and 230/100's spool is fine and it is my daily driver as well. It's just driving habits and tuning. You can't just mat it to the floor like you can a VGT, once I get about 6-7lbs and roll into it it's gone. I won't go back to a VGT.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.