Biggest tire on OBS DRW w/o spacer?

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
What's the biggest tire you can fit on a OBS dually without the bolt on style spacers? Can a 235/85 fit with a slide on spacer? Truck may be put into work hot shot hauling cars with a heavy triple axle trailer, would like to go to a slightly bigger tire to reduce my RPM's a little but don't want them to touch obviously.

Truck currently has 215/85R16's

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ran 235/85-16E' on my 94 without any spacers. I didn't have any issues when towing my 9k 5th-wheel, but if you're towing bigger, you might want a spacer. Not that the wheels are hub-centric and not lug-centric and the dually hub does not have much shoulder left on the hub for the outer wheel to center on. Almost any spacer will need to have a provision to keep the wheel centered. Cheers!

always-strokin

Reaction score
I've got 315's and have no spacer (yet). Dont need a spacer due to lift, you need a spacer due to how wide the tires are. 285's wouldn't need a spacer and will prob fit on stock lift I'm pretty sure.

Bare in mind that unless you get custom tuning going w/ bigger tires will hurt you a bit w/ the auto in terms of power off the line. I ran my 35's on stock tuning and it was a slug off the line, but w/ the 4.10's I could carry a 5-10k load in the hills at 90mph w/ ease. Tuning + the 35's = I have absolutely zero issues moving off the line w/ a 10k lb load.

Reaction score
285's on an OBS dually? No way they would fit on mine! 235's didn't rub together, but anything larger probably would when towing. Cheers!

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
I ran 235/85-16E' on my 94 without any spacers. I didn't have any issues when towing my 9k 5th-wheel, but if you're towing bigger, you might want a spacer. Not that the wheels are hub-centric and not lug-centric and the dually hub does not have much shoulder left on the hub for the outer wheel to center on. Almost any spacer will need to have a provision to keep the wheel centered. Cheers!

Hopefully it'll only need a 1/4" spacer like oldschoolpsd said. I saw a set of 235-85s on a friends OBS dually the other day and they looked good, but heavy towing would make them touch.

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Mine had 235/85 toyo mt's on it and the sidewalls barely touched with around 2k on the deck and 45lbs in the tires. I think if you went with a street tread and left them pumped up hard you might get away with it. A 1/4" spacer leaves you with a little more than a full nut on the wheels studs.

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Mine had 235/85 toyo mt's on it and the sidewalls barely touched with around 2k on the deck and 45lbs in the tires. I think if you went with a street tread and left them pumped up hard you might get away with it. A 1/4" spacer leaves you with a little more than a full nut on the wheels studs.

Would definitely be hwy treads at 80psi lol

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
got a quote from Discount Tire today for Four 235/85/16 BFG Commerical T/A's & Michelin XLT M&S's....:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

BFG's were like $950 M&B with Road Hazzard replacement

Michelin's were $1,150 M&B with Road Hazzard replacement

Anybody have any experience with the BFG Commercial T/As?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online