Billet blocks?

fbilly420

Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean to say he was running a billet block. But from what I have heard he would benefit running one. I have heard he has split a few stock blocks.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Still, this deserves posting here.

DSCF0055-303x410.jpg

Big Bore

Reaction score
The $10k dollar hypermax block would be cheaper.

And even that's not cost effective. I'm sure they have considered all the angles for DO. I'm betting that splitting a few hundred dollar block once or twice a season is a lot cheaper than either of those options. Especially since like the top fuel dragsters etc., I bet they rebuild the motor often. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have tweaked/redesigned the massive girdle to hold the block together better.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
And even that's not cost effective. I'm sure they have considered all the angles for DO. I'm betting that splitting a few hundred dollar block once or twice a season is a lot cheaper than either of those options. Especially since like the top fuel dragsters etc., I bet they rebuild the motor often. And I wouldn't be surprised if they have tweaked/redesigned the massive girdle to hold the block together better.

A few hundred dollar block? Apparently you have not added up all the costs associated for fully prepping a block for use in that truck. Its filled, custom built and fit girdle, the stud holes are all drilled open and tapped larger (some I think go all the way through, machined open for the new lifters, etc.... its a pretty big endeavor.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Sure would be nice to have. Can't think of a good way to sell the idea to the wife though.

Big Bore

Reaction score
A few hundred dollar block? Apparently you have not added up all the costs associated for fully prepping a block for use in that truck. Its filled, custom built and fit girdle, the stud holes are all drilled open and tapped larger (some I think go all the way through, machined open for the new lifters, etc.... its a pretty big endeavor.

Yea I suppose I was being a bit conservative with my number lol. But how much does all that work cost do you think, and how much is a billet block? I'm still going to go with the DO guys have done a cost benefit analysis and decided not to go billet for a reason, they don't seem to have any problem throwing piles of money at things they want. And they may have solved the split block issue with that girdle? You would probably know more than most of us about that truck I would imagine.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yea I suppose I was being a bit conservative with my number lol. But how much does all that work cost do you think, and how much is a billet block? I'm still going to go with the DO guys have done a cost benefit analysis and decided not to go billet for a reason, they don't seem to have any problem throwing piles of money at things they want. And they may have solved the split block issue with that girdle? You would probably know more than most of us about that truck I would imagine.

I'm far from an expert on that truck - but I would venture to think it would take a few grand to replace a block when it breaks, not counting all the extra parts that may get damaged, plus labor to put it together. Parts and tuning have progressed quite a bit in the last few years - it wasn't all that long ago that the top running mod trucks were only getting 4-10 hooks on an engine. That was when the rules got expanded to allow billet blocks - although many guys are not running them in the mod truck world due to improvements in making power.

skylinedan

Reaction score
I know with NHRA it was more about teams loosing motors on the track. Now if you pop a motor you get fined, it was more about safty for the next racers, and keeping the show going with out long delays dune to clean up after a grenaded motor oiled down the track.

TARM

Reaction score
Yep they get one pas per season then its a min of a $1k fine and depending when it happens loss of time points position in race standing etc. Went into effect last season, 2011. The year before they had delays for clean ups that some times doubled the length of an event.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
What the price I didn't see it and curious to see how much they are

Top Alcohol Hemi

-TFX style block
-10.830 Deck height
-Set up for 65mm plain bearing cam
-2" lifter spacing
-Bushed for .904 drop in lifters
-4.460 rough bore
-H11 studs

$8000 ready to run after finish hone.

Can machine block to lower decks,
larger lifter bushings, etc. for additional
charge.

^^ only one I saw a price for, I would guess a PSD block would be between 6-10k, probably on the higher end of that spectrum.

Charles

Reaction score
A block machined from a billet can often be repaired in the instance that something pops out to say hello.

A cast block is almost always fractured and scrapped.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.