Billet Plenums

vr6nutt

Reaction score
So I may be in a bit of a pickle, but am not quite sure...

In the middle of final assembly of my motor. Got a set of heads from a vendor here to use on my 03 build. Was beginning installation of the billet plenums from Riff Raff and noticed a peculiar difference. All but two holes line up on the plenum to head. Compared it to my old heads and spotted the difference. The rebuilt heads only have 8 bolts on the intake and my old heads have 10.

For comparison..

New:
Head2_zpsyrlsvavc.jpg

Old:

Head1_zps70qlb3iw.jpg

Did some research and found that the heads are supposed to be identical, less the number of bolt holes. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to the different designs? Why did Ford change to the 10 bolt design? Boost leaks?

Already thought about exchanging the plenums but read that they're not for 8-bolt intakes - and they're back ordered. But 8-bolt is what I have now! Really want to finish up this build.

So this is what I am thinking...Being these plenums are rather thick where the bolts are, I am debating on tapping the two holes and sealing them up with a flush-mount bolt and a dab of some Ford RTV on the rear where the o-ring slightly misses.

Thoughts?

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you are going to negate the o ring, negate it entirely. Glue it all day or dont at all.

vr6nutt

Reaction score
And to further complicate this assembly, you'll notice that the oil galley plugs have been painted courtesy of machine shop. I already removed paint off the intake mani and exhaust mani areas as well. Any suggestions in removing the paint from the threads? I dont imagine I can leave it that way.

Krause

Reaction score
I would send the heads back and get the right ones. You must have told them you were building a 03'? The 8 bolt heads werent used after 95 as far as I know. You have 300 dollar plenums that utilize an oring, dont give up that hard paid for option because someone sent you 8 bolt heads. If you try to make it work, I feel like it's going to turn into a leaky hackjob.

Latest posts

Members online