Billet vs. FMW wheels

Beans71086

Reaction score
I just started to see these FMW (forged milled wheel) turbos come out on the market. Maybe they've been around brands platforms, I dunno, I pretty much stick to my 6.4s.

So what are the differences/benefits to a FMW over a billet wheel?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The FMW wheels named to Borg Warner are actually tested after the were designed and rated for what they have actually concluded from results. Not saying that means anything but, you know... LOL

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Billet wheels are just machined from an extruded stock material. An FMW is first stamped under high pressure into a very rough shape and is then machined into the final wheel.* Forging increases the strength of the material which means it can endure a lot more duty cycles than a simple billet wheel.* Since it is stronger, it can be machined thinner, which translates into a lighter wheel

Hellen Keller sent this?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Billet wheels are just machined from an extruded stock material. An FMW is first stamped under high pressure into a very rough shape and is then machined into the final wheel.* Forging increases the strength of the material which means it can endure a lot more duty cycles than a simple billet wheel.* Since it is stronger, it can be machined thinner, which translates into a lighter wheel

Hellen Keller sent this?

i like the idea of the fmw .. will be trying one shortly vs cast .

Beans71086

Reaction score

Hellen Keller sent this?

This is what I was looking for! Good info.

JDub

Reaction score
Borg Warner also did an awesome job finding a balance between high flow and high pressure. The FMW spools really well compared to other wheels because of its profile but doesn't lose that big flow on the topend

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Last edited:

3brorce

Reaction score
Many FMW 67.7 and cast 67.7 chargers have been tested on the cummins. The fmw is a direct copy of the cast. Should take more abuse being that it is billet but going to spool slower than a cast cause it is heavier. Box cast borgs do just fine.

JDub

Reaction score
Many FMW 67.7 and cast 67.7 chargers have been tested on the cummins. The fmw is a direct copy of the cast. Should take more abuse being that it is billet but going to spool slower than a cast cause it is heavier. Box cast borgs do just fine.

Cast Borg wheels do work really well.

But the 67.7mm that is now available for the s300 frame is noticeably lighter than the cast 66 found in the popular s366, so it should be a great upgrade option.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Cast Borg wheels do work really well.

But the 67.7mm that is now available for the s300 frame is noticeably lighter than the cast 66

as you already know, i will be testing the 63 cast vs. the 64.5 fmw .. should net drastic results ( more than 5-10 horse) if bw's results are reflected. i want the spoolup of the 63 with the power of the 66 . this will be on my 6.7 . apparently the fmw wheels have a wicked sound too. coming from the uncorked stock turbo i will like that alot. thanks again for the help jacob and mpd.

JDub

Reaction score
64.5fmw/68 should be a sweet little turbo for the 6.0 and 6.7 crowd. Excited to hear how the new 67.7fmw/73 works on some 6.4's. Already know the 71fmw/73 is pretty impressive on a 6.4

Latest posts

Members online