Bleeding the clutch on a zf6

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
Just finishing my zf6 swap in my obs. im having a hell of a time getting the clutch bled with no bleeder. Anyone have any tips or tricks to bleed it? ive tried the pump the slave trick for the past 2 days to no avail Its a new master cylinder and a new slave and a new hydraulic line. Does anyone out there make a slave cylinder with a bleeder? It doesnt seem like it would have been a big deal to put one on the slave.

mandkole

Reaction score
Did you bench bleed the master? If air is trapped there you'll never get a pedal.

And yes, the pre bled assy is a time saver.

Last edited:

co04cobra

Reaction score
Did you bench bleed the master? If air is trapped there you'll never get a pedal.

And yes, the pre bled assy is a time saver.

:whs::whs:

It would probably still save you a lot of headache to just go get a pre-bled kit.

JSchuricht

Reaction score
He has a ZF6 and OBS. There is a good chance that a pre bled kit is not available if he is using a OBS master and SD slave which is common on swaps. To bled the system, you need to pull the slave out of the trans and pump it by hand, holding it in for 10-20 seconds or so to help get the air out.

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
As for the prebled kit like mentioned above im putting this in my obs i cant yse the kit because i have to use the obs master cyl with the sd slave cyl

JSchuricht

Reaction score
The SD master requires more fabrication. The OBS master just drops in place like it was meant to fit there.

wadeclinton

Reaction score
I recently completed a ZF6 conversion, and was able to bleed my system fairly easily. I assembled the master, hose, and slave. Clamped the master in a vise and allowed the slave to dangle. I followed the pump and wait procedure as described in the SD shop manual. I spent 5-10 min total. It worked the first time. I'm not sure what else to recommend.

Reaction score
If you are trying to bleed by hand-cycling the slave with everything in the truck, try disconnecting the master's rod from the pedal linkage and then do it. It sounds stupid, but it worked for me once I did that. Cheers!

97strokerHD

Reaction score
Is there any way if I did this swap would I be able to bolt my factory transfer case to the zf6? Interchangeable tailshaft housing or something like that?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
Well i got it bled finally. unhooked the line from the slave vacuum bled the master and filled the slave with fluid before installing the line. all is good other than a severely out of balance driveshaft off to the shop to get a one piece made.

Latest posts

Members online