Block Heater Burned Out?

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
So I had some issues last winter on some hard starting and I thought I had those figured out. But here is another...

She starts easy enough when plugged in but starting yesterday each time I plug the block heater in, it flips a fuse in my house. I have tried different extension cords and different outlets and each time it flips a house fuse.
No fuses in the truck are out......

So does this mean the element is burned out on my block heater? Is this common? I mean the truck is 14 years old.....

If so is a factory replacement recommended or is there a nicer aftermarket one?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
LMAO! I was JUST using my heater last night, worked great. Looked outside today, noticed light on post wasnt on, breaker tripped. Switch cords, trips again, cleaned plugs, dried them out, dielectric grease, pops everytime... mother****er!!!!

Im also thinking it may be just too cold and heater is pulling waaaay too many amps. Im going to warm the truck up a bit and retry.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
LMAO! I was JUST using my heater last night, worked great. Looked outside today, noticed light on post wasnt on, breaker tripped. Switch cords, trips again, cleaned plugs, dried them out, dielectric grease, pops everytime... mother****er!!!!

Im also thinking it may be just too cold and heater is pulling waaaay too many amps. Im going to warm the truck up a bit and retry.

Freaking A! Exactly....

So it may just be the cord?

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score

I don't know how the block heater works(assuming its a simple element design..) but I don't see that being the problem...

I'm leaning more cord related on both accounts..

Dave

Reaction score
Yeah too cold isnt the problem.

Cords are the issue. The block heater isnt thermostatically controlled.

It just heats Its on or its off.

What gauge extension cords and length are you guys using?

Southmike

Reaction score
It is just like a hot water element.
visually a Copper u.
cord comes right off.

om them out..clean them up...
if not replace cord, heater or both.

not pricy items.
I would stay at 1000w to keep from having to find larger breakers.
1500 max

mandkole

Reaction score
150 feet of standard extension cord I suspect... that will trip a 15A breaker with the 1000w heater. New heater cords are readily available and they usually die at the plug at the heater.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Alright sweet. Looks like Ill be ordering myself a new heater cord and see if that works! :thumbsup:

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Took me a bit but I finally crawled under there and put the new cord on. So far looks like the problem is solved!

To bad Dad borrowed the truck and broke my mirror off yesterday......... always something

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.