Block heater issues maybe

T_rider_0013

Reaction score
Help... I plug my 2000 f350 SD in at night and this morning it wouldn't start for almost 3 mins. Wait to start light is working. It's been working till today. Once it's started it runs great even letting it sit all day while at work. Am I looking at glow plug relay or what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
Unless the temperature is cold where you're at, I'll bet your injectors are worn. Truck should fire up at 30 degrees even without glow plugs if everything works right.

TARM

Reaction score
What was the temp?

I have had no trouble starting even at freezing 32 f with just glow plugs.

But combine worn injectors weak HPOP or even LPOP etc can magnify any of these effects.

bcvickers

Reaction score
Testing your GPR is pretty easy with just a test light as it's right on top of the motor. The WTS light will still "work" even with a bad GPR. Also, I'd bet a dollar to donuts that you're block heater cord is bad. Also pretty easy to test with a multi-meter. It plugs in right above your oil filter and there's a clip holding it on.

Like other's have said and I have experienced, starts down to 20-30f should be fine with just glow plugs. I've tested mine by accident a couple times already this fall/winter and with 170k on an '02 she fired right up. That is with 2 new batteries and a new starter this past summer however.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My truck starts at 10 degrees with no glowplugs. Turn the key, *fuel pump hum* rrrrrr-wham...if the truck engine isnt completely tired and low compression and the injectors arent shot it should start. If any of the others are present and it wont start after a single wts light cycle, you got issues.

T_rider_0013

Reaction score
Changed glow plug relays and problem still occurs but not as bad as before. Was doing some research and found that the ebpv could cause this same exact issue I'm having. Correct?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I don't think an exhaust back pressure valve is gonna cause all these issues. You have a tired motor, tired glow olugs, or a combination of both mixed in with worn injectors.

T_rider_0013

Reaction score
Injectors are brand new as of 2 months ago or so. Idm is new fuel pick in tank and fuel pump with in the month

TyCorr

Reaction score
So then, the gp's arent getting it done. You can do a search and see how to ohm them out at the harness.

T_rider_0013

Reaction score
Could it be fuel heater or as said earlier the block heater itself?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont think so bud. Fuel heater doesnt do anything really. And the block heater only heats the coolant and a small amount if oil. My truck stays outside. And hasnt even had the cord for the heater attached for 7 years. Mine starts just fine.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You're glowplugs are 17 years old if they're the original, try changing them. they do go bad over time from using them. You're fuel system isn't the issue, nor is the idm.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive been using dieselrx the last five years. I put them in for three years. Pulled em out two years ago to do some vwork. They looked new other than sootie. I pulled them out in August of this year to test them and visually inspect them. Good to go.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Ive been using dieselrx the last five years. I put them in for three years. Pulled em out two years ago to do some vwork. They looked new other than sootie. I pulled them out in August of this year to test them and visually inspect them. Good to go.

Same but only for the past 3.5 years. Pulled them out last summer to replace injectors and they all looked good still. No issues with them swelling like I've heard of. Seem good to me.

sootie

Reaction score

Hey! leave me out of this LOL

Latest posts

Members online