Block prep thread

Mdub707

Reaction score
I can probably get the honing bar from work anyways, so I will probably try that. So right now I'm thinking the Ford goop, scrape off what I can to get it clean, then honing block, then lots of brake cleaner and clean white rags...

protraxrptr17

Reaction score
I use the maroon cookie wheels after they have been pretty well worn out on other jobs. I keep a few that I have discarded in my toolbox just for use on heads and block surfaces. I know that is considered a no-no, but I also have a machine shop and have used these to work on shafts and various things to take off very miniscule amounts of metal. Let me tell you, it takes a LONG time to remove .0005" (half a thou) of steel with a cookie wheel. Aluminum is a different story. But like others have said, some idiots can screw up anything.

I have used the steel block/400/600 grit method too, felt more confident in the wheels. Didnt like the texture of the surface as much.

Snake

Reaction score
Mike, did Doug mention anything about using water or honing oil with the honing block? Or should it be done dry?

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Mike, did Doug mention anything about using water or honing oil with the honing block? Or should it be done dry?

You definitely want to use some tube of lube/ oil. It will keep the metal suspended so it doesn't get into everything. Also to keep your stone in good shape. Using it dry will most likely kill the stone. Also makes it easier to clean up after when your done.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Mdub707

Reaction score
Doug seriously gave me a VERY short answer and never responded again. Asked a few more questions... nothing. After he ripped me off on some tunes I didn't even want, he hasn't said much to me at all and I see he's kind of disappeared now.

Latest posts

Members online