Blowing Clamps

bkfireman07

Reaction score
Anyone have any guesses why i would blow 2 clamps off in 2 days. It is the clamp that holds the intercooler boot to to the intercooler pipe that runs up to the turbo. I thought the first time was because the boot was greasy it slipped off and the clamp just fell off on the road somewhere. But i just put a new one on, drove it 2 miles and the clamp blew off, literally flattened the clamp out. I've got a edge cts and the monitor was showing the turbo pressure at 22 and it would release it. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

bkfireman07

Reaction score
I pulled all the boots off today and the pipe soaked them in soap and water and got all the oil off. So they were very clean the second time that clamp blew off. It completely destroyed the clamp too. I'm sorry i'm not a gear head on diesels yet, whats a CCV?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Crank case ventilation, there's a tube that comes off of the box on the drivers side valve cover that goes into the plastic intake tube. Your going to continue to get your boots soaked in oil until you route it out of the intake. Most people plug the hole in the intake tube, and run hose off of the ccv to behind the cab.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
It could be, you might want to look into buying a new boot too. Alot of the time, they have already absorbed the oil into them which causes them to break down.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Having the stock ccv doesn't help any. I also take some coarse grit sandpaper and scuff the piping lightly and then wipe them down good with degreaser. Also make sure your pipe isn't out of round and that you the boot is fully seated on.

bkfireman07

Reaction score
Well did the hair spray trick and is holding good. Boot is starting to show wear and tear so i'm just gonna order a new one to be on the safe side, thanks guys

Mdub707

Reaction score
I forget who at the moment, but someone also sells rings to sit in the groove on the intercooler piping so the clamp and boot have something to bite on to. They're pretty cheap too. You can always have someone weld a ridge around the outside of the intercooler pipe too, so the clamp can't slip over it once tightened down. Same thing.

Latest posts

Members online