Blown turbo plus more? Options?

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
Headed down to the GFs house last weekend and when I had to leave in the morning it would start and die. I figured well, it is cold out so I started it again and it died. Ended up taking her car, grabbed a fuel filter and when it was light out when i got back to it I noticed oil EVERYWHERE. dripping off of everything from the front sway bar back. checked oil and nothing was on the stick so i put another gallon in and nothing still.

at this time I went and got another truck and some oil since I knew it would drive on the trailer. While driving it on the trailer there was a slight stream of oil coming from the passenger side of the block as well as some coming out of the tailpipe. From everything Ive read and seen its obvious the turbo seals are shot but what gets me is that oil coming from the pass. side. From what I can tell there was a low spot in my CCV reroute that had froze and excess pressure caused the oil to come out by the oil fill neck. Does that sound even possible?
I started it in the shop tonight and noticed a bunch of oily water from the CCV hose. The end of the hose has some sludgy oil around it. I ran it tonight and didnt have anything coming out of the passenger side like before but I could still see a decent amount of oil coming out of both sides of the turbo.

Its obvious to me the turbos junk (but didnt feel any play in the wheel :/ ) Looking at what my options are for replacements. Im thinking of the 38R, DynoProvens Brute66, or even a new stocker. Any thoughts or other options? still not sure what was coming down the side of the motor but now the CCV is thawed its not appearing to be an issue :wtf:

dmd

Reaction score
CCV plugged will cause pressure in the motor and oil will blow out everyplace it can.

See what happens after you clear out the CCV before making any judgements, maybe
the CCV was cleared out tonight. Make sure there is smoke passing through it.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
yeah, once the ccv cleared out it was much better. Ordered a stock reman last night and going with that since that was the only thing leaking after.
Rerouted the CCV like 3-4 yrs ago and the one low spot mustve finally gotten enough condensation to block it once it froze. Also probably happened this year since ive got it starting well in the cold now and have been leaving it outside all the time. Time to change that ccv hose a bit now

sniper_101

Reaction score
Rebuild kits are like $100 for the stock GTP38. No harder to rebuild than it is to remove the turbo. That would have been my suggestion, but I see you already ordered a turbo...

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
It was routed to behind the cab and where it went under the cab mount there was a low spot which is where im assuming it froze up. I plan on just cutting it where it comes down and just running it that way. then whats leftover I'll use on the '53 build

I'll probably get a kit and rebuild this one when I have some time seeing as there isnt a core charge on the one i bought.

Latest posts

Members online