Blue dye

swinky

Reaction score
So ford has a blue dye to detect for carbon dioxide which would mean head gasket leak. I went to the dealership and according to the test my gaskets are fine. The tech swears it works and has never given him a bad reading. Anybody have experience with this stuff.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Go to Napa and get a combustion gas tester. Like $40 and the same thing. It will turn green if there is combustion.

swinky

Reaction score
It will detect it even if the gaskets only leak under wot?

Zmann

Reaction score
the psi gauge seems to be more accurate

the dye seems to misdiagnose on the 6oh for some reason

swinky

Reaction score
it will detect it if there is combustion in the coolant. it doesnt know if it gets there at idle or WOT.

but if you dont make it puke, likely your test wont be accurate.

the psi gauge seems to be more accurate

the dye seems to misdiagnose on the 6oh for some reason

I'm giving up on thinking it's not gaskets. There's like 20+ psi in the cooling system wot. He had me power brake it in the parking lot but that doesn't normally make my gauge go up.

swinky

Reaction score
Napa kit didn't pick anything up either. Put it on right after flogging it. Is there anyway intake/boost air is getting through the egr? I have the factory cooler welded.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
But **** I've been flogging it for a month with 190s and this issue. You would think you'd be able to smell it or at least see some soot in the coolant.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Hmmm this has me wondering... I took mine to dealer, made it puke before. He did the blue die test came back negative. Ran IDS on it and everything came back okay.

Still need to try coolant pressure test.

According to powerstrokehelp, that's a sure fire way to know of gaskets are blown or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Hmmm this has me wondering... I took mine to dealer, made it puke before. He did the blue die test came back negative. Ran IDS on it and everything came back okay.

Still need to try coolant pressure test.

According to powerstrokehelp, that's a sure fire way to know of gaskets are blown or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm getting like 20 psi in mine and it still passed three different blue dye tests. Been running it like this for a month so the coolant should have a good trace by now.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Well I'm getting like 20 psi in mine and it still passed three different blue dye tests. Been running it like this for a month so the coolant should have a good trace by now.

The combustion tester doesn't actually pull anything out of the coolant, it actually uses the small area of gases on top of the coolant in the degas bottle.

swinky

Reaction score
Right but I've been running this coolant for a month with potentially blown gaskets. You would think it would have enough of a trace.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm going to do a test today and strap the tester down tight on the degas and go drive the **** out of it.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
You need to make sure the thermostat is opened up when you do this.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Maybe I missed this but did you try the pressure line T'ed into the degas bottle to a gauge inside of the truck? From what I have heard that is a pretty good indicator.

Latest posts

Members online