Boost PSI on a 7.3?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What should I be seeing for boost?

I am thinking I either have a leak issue somewhere or my gauge is defective, because I have only seen 10 PSI max since I have installed my boost gauge.

My mods are in my sig.

Thanks

MINK

Reaction score
depends on the tune, a 100+ tune should be 23-27psi. How do you like the glowshift now?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
you should see 20-25 with your foot to the floor.

Okay. I'm going to hook up another boost gauge to make sure. The GlowShift one I have does not use hose. It is digital, and I think it is defective. I have all the power I need so I dont think I'm leaking anywhere.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
depends on the tune, a 100+ tune should be 23-27psi. How do you like the glowshift now?

Well I like it for the fact that it is a 3in1, but if its defective I am definitely going to give GlowShift CS an earful. I have already had to contact them once.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
i have glowhshift guages and they seem to be fairly accurate. but you have a defective gauge if your only reading that much.. with my tuning i can get +/-25 with the gate plugged in and +/-30 with it unplugged.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure its a leak. When I'm just on cruise control it is always around 3-4 psi which is normal I assume, and when I get on it, it will build boost until about 10 psi and that is it. My boots do feel somewhat soft, so tomorrow I will be doing the CCV mod and then order some new boots. I'll also check the up pipes while I'm at it.

Here is a question though... How big of a leak would it have to be to only build about 10 psi? Could it just be a small leak, or would it have to be drastic?

Like I said before, I have great power, but the gauge says otherwise...

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Id imagine the more you pushed the bigger the leak would get... You could test the gauge with a regulator on a air compressor or the likes just to disprove its not the gauge, If its a boost leak on the turbine side it should be pretty easy to spot. Missing 10-15 psi some where it should make a hell of a racket

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Where is the gauge hooked up?

I am assuming they use some kind of electric sensor that you installed somewhere in the MAP line?

Your truck would run like **** and smoke like crazy if you were only making 10 psi...

I'm leaning to a gauge issue.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Where is the gauge hooked up?

I am assuming they use some kind of electric sensor that you installed somewhere in the MAP line?

Your truck would run like **** and smoke like crazy if you were only making 10 psi...

I'm leaning to a gauge issue.

Yeah, that is what I figured. Like I said, it doesn't lack power. And yes, the boost sensor is an electrical one. It is mounted right by the intake heater plug.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Yeah, that is what I figured. Like I said, it doesn't lack power. And yes, the boost sensor is an electrical one. It is mounted right by the intake heater plug.

Remove the sensor, clean it with some brake clean, then reinstall. When you reinstall it use some dielectric grease on the plug.

See if that helps the issue. If not, contact them for a new sensor.

7point3

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure its a leak. When I'm just on cruise control it is always around 3-4 psi which is normal I assume, and when I get on it, it will build boost until about 10 psi and that is it. My boots do feel somewhat soft, so tomorrow I will be doing the CCV mod and then order some new boots. I'll also check the up pipes while I'm at it.

Here is a question though... How big of a leak would it have to be to only build about 10 psi? Could it just be a small leak, or would it have to be drastic?

Like I said before, I have great power, but the gauge says otherwise...

That is EXACTLY what mine is doing. Seemed to be running fine:

BUT,,,,made a detector, hooked it up and checked.

1) I had a leak in the right plenum boot.

2)I had a worse leak in the left plenum boot.

3) I had a leak in the bottom hot air side I/C boot

4) I had a worse leak in the TOP hot side I/C boot.

I took off the bottom I/c boot, cleaned (was already clean) hairspray and put back on. The clamp on top was a bit loose. Tightened it. The plenum boot clamps were very loose, I tightened them up just a bit, as I didn't want to damage anything. Gonna replace all 6 boots anyway. I didn't even re-check to see if anything was better. Got back up to 13-14 psi boost, so there is still problems. Hopefully I can remedy that with RiffRaff

Latest posts

Members online